91st Infantry Impression

BrokenShovelDude

BrokenShovelDude

So- perhaps I cheated due to the fact that most of this stuff is inherited from my two uncles in either the 91st Infantry or the 1st Marines ;)

Col.Nestor Aliga RET (2007). 91st Infantry Div.

I only know him as Uncle Mario because I've only met him once. RET (2004). 1st Marines

Here's a list of what I have on:

PASGT helmet and Vest

LBV (SAAV?)

LC1 belt (eventually will be replaced with LC2)

Canteen with cover and cup

DCU

Issued Desert Boots dated 93 (my uncle didn't get them until AFTER leaving Saudi Arabia once Desert Storm ended)

Oakly Googles (too far ahead pinch.gif that I bought back in 2001 when my uncle took me to the PX at Travis AFB)

-Speaking of Desert Storm, he threw out his DBDU uniform but kept a CRAP LOAD of ALICE pack covers- crying.gif But at least he kept his ERDL jacket from early in his career

I also have woodland BDUs and M65 and I will post it once I put it together. (it's more accurate)

AND YES! THOSE SKITTLES ARE FROM AN MRE! haha

91sInfantry.jpg91sInfantryside.jpg

Just to make sure, Do I have the correct LBV? And what else do I need?

PS if anyone has any info/sites (BESIDES WIKIPEDIA) where I can read more about the 91st please tell me :) I'd like to know more about it.

Thanks!

So- perhaps I cheated due to the fact that most of this stuff is inherited from my two uncles in either the 91st Infantry or the 1st Marines ;)

Col.Nestor Aliga RET (2007). 91st Infantry Div.

I only know him as Uncle Mario because I've only met him once. RET (2004). 1st Marines

Here's a list of what I have on:

PASGT helmet and Vest

LBV (SAAV?)

LC1 belt (eventually will be replaced with LC2)

Canteen with cover and cup

DCU

Issued Desert Boots dated 93 (my uncle didn't get them until AFTER leaving Saudi Arabia once Desert Storm ended)

Oakly Googles (too far ahead pinch.gif that I bought back in 2001 when my uncle took me to the PX at Travis AFB)

-Speaking of Desert Storm, he threw out his DBDU uniform but kept a CRAP LOAD of ALICE pack covers- crying.gif But at least he kept his ERDL jacket from early in his career

I also have woodland BDUs and M65 and I will post it once I put it together. (it's more accurate)

AND YES! THOSE SKITTLES ARE FROM AN MRE! haha

91sInfantry.jpg91sInfantryside.jpg

Just to make sure, Do I have the correct LBV? And what else do I need?

PS if anyone has any info/sites (BESIDES WIKIPEDIA) where I can read more about the 91st please tell me :) I'd like to know more about it.

Thanks!

It looks like the correct ammo vest, I remember the ones we had, the pockets were at an angle instead up up and down, but Id move that canteen and cover to the hip, not in front, AND TUCK IN THOSE BOOT LACES TROOP!!!! :)

Thats the first thing they teach ya in basic training.

P

Suggestions -

Since your boot laces are really long on you, I'd wrap them around the top of the boot twice, then tie them and tuck them in.

Stuff the Skittles in a pocket.

Canteens always go in the back. Ideally, two canteens, one on each side.

As for the 91st, that Wikipedia site has you covered, including a link to the what the official unit site was.

... always hated those LBVs. Fortunately, they were gone as quickly as most units got them. ;)

Thanks!

Hey Dude,

I'm not sure if this will help with your Desert Storm history but I have a website about the Italian Campaign of WW2. As part of it, I have a short history of the 91st Infantry Division that is transcribed from the booklet that was handed out to the GI's during the war. So, if you want to know about the heritage of the check out this link or drop me an email.

Steve, aka Custermen

91st "Powder River" Infantry Division - WW2

DUI_346FA_91ID.jpg

DUI of 346 Field Artillery Battalion, 91st Division

BrokenShovelDude
.... saw generation kill? =_=

sigh- you got me..... :unsure: I'm guessing the Skittles was a giveaway?

And thanks for the info custermen! I had no clue the 91st was involved in WWII!

Anyway thanks, I'm planning on passing by the surplus and hopefully they'll have another canteen. If I'm Lucky I might find a few more pouches to rig to the LBV. It's one of those stores that you really have to dig , but there's usually something good ;)

As for the boots,I'll do that. Do I tuck them inside the other laces or the boot itself?

And should I replace the googles with M44s?

Thanks

Anyway thanks, I'm planning on passing by the surplus and hopefully they'll have another canteen. If I'm Lucky I might find a few more pouches to rig to the LBV. It's one of those stores that you really have to dig , but there's usually something good wink.gif

Gotta love stores like that! :) One of my favorite stores has militaria on the third floor, in a corner, in a great big PILE. It's literally a pile, not just figuratively speaking. You have to really dig and everything is kinda dusty and dirty, but it's so, so worth it. It's the place where I've pulled tons of women's Vietnam uniforms for my impressions - and cheap, too, like $15/set. Best kinda of militaria places are the ones where you need to dig!

Definitely get a second canteen and put both canteens on the back/side. Some people (like my husband) prefer to have them pretty far to the side so they're not in the way when riding in a vehicle. It's, to some extent, personal preference. You might also want to get a compass pouch or first aid pouch.

If I get a chance, I will scan some photos for you showing some Reservists wearing their LBVs in the 2003/2004 timeframe. I think you'll get a chuckle out of it. I have a photo of one girl at the range (I was the range medic, so plenty of spare time to take photos ... *lol*) wearing her LBV, and it's not even rigged up right to her pistol belt. Oh, and get this - she was carrying a PURSE. Yeah, in uniform, with flak vest and K-pot, and LBV ... and she brought a purse. crying.gif

I would leave the goggles as they are, especially if that's how your relative / friend wore them in theater. You might want to consider adding a high speed goggle cover ... like a GI issue sock with the toes cut off. (Those work great. I hear they actually make real goggle covers these days, though...)

The boot laces are tucked into the top of the boot. Basically, once you get to the top when lacing them up, wrap the laces around the top of the boot twice, tie them in front like you would normally, and grab both the loops and the loose ends of your "bows" and stuff them into the top of the boot. If they're not long enough to wrap around the top, just tie and stuff.

On a side note, I think it's cool to do a "modern" impression. People tend to forget that history isn't just what happened 60 years ago, but also what happened 10 years ago (heck, Desert Storm was *almost* 20 years ago ...), or even 5 years ago. Gear and uniforms have changed a heck of a lot in the last five years, let alone 10.

BrokenShovelDude

Yep! And it gives you the satisfaction of having to find something! :D

I think I'll look for a compass pouch, first aid pouch, and socks at the surplus too, so I can have one for my feet and one to cut up for goggle covers. I'll probably look for more ALICE attachments too.

Oh that would be great! I never thought I would see something that wacky! Please post those pics!

And I totally agree with you! Although It's probably going to be a long time before we see a Desert Storm reenactment group, it's true that history can be only a few years past.

Thanks for the help Abby!

Although It's probably going to be a long time before we see a Desert Storm reenactment group, it's true that history can be only a few years past.

Actually, there are already groups portraying Desert Storm, it's just not nearly as common as other time periods such as Vietnam. I know there was a group out west, I think in Washington State, that had an ambulance and was doing a medical impression. Over this way on the East Coast, we did Desert Storm for quite a few events before half of our members ended up getting deployed overseas and then the unit kind of fell apart. We even came to some smaller events doing mid/late-1990s (Operation Vigilant Warrior, etc.) impressions, just for giggles. There are groups in the UK doing Desert Storm and more recent (like Bosnia) impressions.

Oh that would be great! I never thought I would see something that wacky! Please post those pics!

I apologize for the awful quality of this picture - I ended up having to photograph it, as my old scanner won't play nicely with Windows Vista. (Tells you how frequently I use that scanner ... I've had this laptop for almost three months now....) I blurred the faces, for obvious reasons, but there you go - the absolutely weirdest way of wearing an LBV, purse and all. It's almost scary to think she qualified with a rifle that day. :blink:

lbv-vi.jpg

I use to buy women's stuff out of that store all the time in the 90's and paid no more than $2.00 an item at the time. Went back the other month and he wanted $20.00 an item. Needless to say I walked right out of the store empty handed.

Yes, his prices have gone way up. The first time I went there, he charged significantly less than he does now. "They sell for xxx on eBay" he said. That's nice. If I wanted to buy them for whatever they overcharge on eBay, I would get them there....

Here's my Desert Shield / Storm impression. :) (I need to take some proper photos ... *lol*)

desertstorm01-vi.jpg

The plane has obviously nothing to do with the impression, the photo was taken at an air show.

The aircraft in the photo crashed at the show the next day.

desertstorm02-vi.jpg