Capt. Phil Henderson, 12th Aero Squadron

trenchbuff

As aviation groups seem to be popular on the forum. Here is one from Captain Phil A. Henderson who flew as both observer and pilot with the 12th Aero Observation Squadron. As an observer, he and his pilot were both awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for attacking nine enemy fighters on 28 August 1918. They were on an unprotected reconnaissance mission when they spotted the enemy fighters near the American Balloon line. When one of the fighters attacked a balloon they immediately went after him. The pilot, Lt. Edward Orr, fired on the enemy aircraft while Henderson held off the other eight fighters. They managed to shoot down one of the fighters during the action but apparently never received credit for the kill. Sadly, Lt. Orr was later killed in an accident. Henderson went on to be earn his pilot rating and served as squadron operations officer. He was promoted to Captain on May 18, 1918. This uniform was obtained directly from the Henderson family in the 80s. They were not willing to part with his medals, documents or original paperwork. They did kindly provide copies of all his paperwork, so it is a very well documented group. Phil Henderson passed away in 1959.

post-944-1233349836.jpg

post-944-1233349862.jpg

Croix de Guerre
As aviation groups seem to be popular on the forum. Here is one from Captain Phil A. Henderson who flew as both observer and pilot with the 12th Aero Observation Squadron. As an observer, he and his pilot were both awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for attacking nine enemy fighters on 28 August 1918. They were on an unprotected reconnaissance mission when they spotted the enemy fighters near the American Balloon line. When one of the fighters attacked a balloon they immediately went after him. The pilot, Lt. Edward Orr, fired on the enemy aircraft while Henderson held off the other eight fighters. They managed to shoot down one of the fighters during the action but apparently never received credit for the kill. Sadly, Lt. Orr was later killed in an accident. Henderson went on to be earn his pilot rating and served as squadron operations officer. He was promoted to Captain on May 18, 1918. This uniform was obtained directly from the Henderson family in the 80s. They were not willing to part with his medals, documents or original paperwork. They did kindly provide copies of all his paperwork, so it is a very well documented group. Phil Henderson passed away in 1959.

Wow Mark! Look at all the eye candy in that room! :lol:

Well, well, my boy, nicely done! Let me know when Henderson wants to "Come East" - I have a slot available. Croix can have the Candy!

Well, well, my boy, nicely done! Let me know when Henderson wants to "Come East" - I have a slot available. Croix can have the Candy!

I'll head you off at the pass....I need a good aviation grouping like this to keep O.G.Williams company.

If I remember correctly isn't Henderson's observer uniform in the USAF museum at Dayton? I remember seeing something of his their? Nice unform.. paul

If I remember correctly isn't Henderson's observer uniform in the USAF museum at Dayton? I remember seeing something of his their? Nice unform.. paul

Interesting! I don't know Paul, but I'd sure like to find out. It has been several years since I've been there. I wonder if anyone out there knows?

Henderson and Elmer Haslett of the 12th flew with the same French squadron when the air Serivce was short aircraft and the observers and pilots were farmed out for experience. I don't have the reference in front of me but to tell you which one. Paul

Henderson and Elmer Haslett of the 12th flew with the same French squadron when the air Serivce was short aircraft and the observers and pilots were farmed out for experience. I don't have the reference in front of me but to tell you which one. Paul

Paul,

He was assigned to Escadrille 43 from April 5th to May 14th 1918.

Mark

I think at the end of the war alot of the observers went and got thier aviator rating. Haslett became a pilot. I have his uniform from the occupation period, it is identical to the Gen Mitchell uniform at the USAF museum. Haslett served with Mitchell.. paul

• 7 years later...

Fantastic grouping!

I am the current squadron historian for the 12th Reconnaissance Squadron formerly known as the 12th Aero Squadron.

Right now, I've been preparing for the 12th's upcoming 100th Year anniversary on 2 June 2017. I've been working to recover information about members of the 12th during WWI. Please let me know if you'd be willing to share copies of photos or documents about Capt Phil A. Henderson or any other members of the 12th you may have. You will be credited appropriately for any information provided and none of it will be used for profit.