5 replies to this topic

#1 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,954 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:00 PM

picked these up on an eBay listing I'm guessing people looked past, they only went for 22...the patina looks a bit glossy, I was wondering if you'd guys classify these as WWII or Korean era finish? The only other Gemsco pieces I have have most of the finish gone. I've seen Imperial birds with this finish that were WWII, but the other Gemsco I have seems a bit bigger and thicker...? thanks

Attached Images

• Gemsco_Fronts.JPG
  • Gemsco_Rears.JPG

#2 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:26 AM

Brig,
I've never seen these with a WW2 only lot, I believe most of the Gemsco pieces in this style to be late 1940's and 1950's vintage. Nice pick-up for 22 bones. Congrats.
Mike

#3 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,558 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:58 AM

That was a good buy - get some lottery tickets tonight. IMHO they are pre or early WW2. They are nice thick heavy bronze, solid smooth back to the reverse. Unlike those found in the latter era when you began to thin and light weight examples with hollow backs, and production or approval numbers stamped on them. s/f Darrell

#4 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,954 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:36 PM

well, I compared them with a different one I have, and the only difference I could find was the tips of the screwposts. One is pointed, the other flat. Subtle differences are a nightmare for the varient collector!

Attached Images

• Gemsco_Compare_3.JPG

#5 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:39 PM

That was a good buy - get some lottery tickets tonight. IMHO they are pre or early WW2. They are nice thick heavy bronze, solid smooth back to the reverse. Unlike those found in the latter era when you began to thin and light weight examples with hollow backs, and production or approval numbers stamped on them. s/f Darrell

I agree the construction is quality that is commonly seen in the 1940's, but I have yet to "see" any in a lot belonging to just a WW2 Marine, or see any pre 1945 in any photographic reference that I have in my database. I'd be interested in any dated photos one may have showing these 1945 or before.

#6 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,558 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:24 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

Edited by teufelhunde.ret, 22 October 2009 - 10:17 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users