Extremely Rare 1st Gas & Flame Group

Belleauwood

post-3422-1233255242.jpg

Several years ago I collected identified WW1 combat division groups and trunk groups. As my focus changed from divisional runs to WW1 USMC and Aviation, these were sold to fund the new quest. One of the few groups that I could never find was a legitimate First Gas and Flame grouping. Because of their rarity, folks would "build" a uniform with an original patch (most of those were fake too) and pass them off as originals. I had learned of this group a couple of years ago and always wanted to get it if it ever popped loose.

The uniform was certainly worn overseas judging by the overall wear and repairs. Almost all Chemical Service uniforms that I've seen (not many) exhibited the same diffuse wear to the wool and had a few holes as this group does. My thought is that the exposure to chemical agents weren't kind to wool or man. ---They do not really present as critter bites, but honest wear.

Long story shorter, this is the uniform of Corp. Charles H. Jackson, Co. C 1st Gas Regiment, 30th Engineers. The uniform itself is very rare esp. the Mackanaw Coat. These seemed to be popular with Engineering guys as seen in several other Id'ed groups I've seen or owned in the past.

The PH & VM are KILLER. Purple Hearts to the 1st Gas Companies are super hard to find. Double awards just don't exist; (well 1 does). The Chemical lapel pin is something I've never seen before! -- How neat is that?!

At any rate come by and see it at the SOS's. There is already 1 first right request, but this guy is hard to please, so come on by - Right Mark?

Very interesting and thanks for posting such an interesting group. I recall when I was in High School a guy brought in a diary from his grandfather who served in some type of chemical unit. It described battles, how to set up the equptment... lots of information. if only I would have known then... It would have been something to have or at least read.

The Science teacher was very interested in it...

John

Now there's something you don't see everyday. What a grand uniform group Dennis!

Hope you don't mind my adding a couple photos of some 1st Gas and Flame items. Thought it might be of interest to include a collar disk that some of that unit wore.

I'll look forward to seeing your group at the SOS. Not sure who that picky dufus is that you're talking about, but if he doesn't want it, I'll be happy to take it home with me.

Mark

post-944-1233260000.jpg

post-944-1233260024.jpg

brandon_rss18

Outstanding group, you WW1 buffs need to stop posting these uniforms, lol, I already ahve a collecting field and I cant afford this one. w00t.gif Simply amazing.