• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 rrobertscv

rrobertscv
  • Members
    • Member ID: 285
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:58 AM

I am not a photographer, and this was helpful to me, not only for making nice photos to post here, but also for loading on eBay.

$10 Photo Studio

#2 Got da Penny

Got da Penny
  • Members
    • Member ID: 633
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:17 PM

Thanks for the info, I might give it a try. Sounds very interesting.

#3 ghost

ghost
  • Members
    • Member ID: 117
  • 954 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:35 PM

NIIIICE!!!
Thanks for the heads-up that is some very cool info

Charlie

#4 scooter

scooter
  • Members
    • Member ID: 698
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:35 PM

Awesome!!!!!! I think this is exactly what I have been looking for.. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif Thanks

#5 CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 94
  • 11,983 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:41 PM

Has anyone made it yet? I wouldn't mind seeing some militaria photos using this idea. Next time I am home, I plan to make this box!

Edited by Schottzie, 20 March 2007 - 05:41 PM.

#6 rrobertscv

rrobertscv
  • Members
    • Member ID: 285
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:33 PM

I made one tonight, all I could find was white poster board, so you can see the edges at the bottom in the back. I am going shopping on Thur. and find a roll of butcher paper, I think it would do better as far as letting the light filter through. Here are a couple of pics. I took, just messing around. I can tell you, these are great photos, compared to most I take!!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/rrobertscv/helmet.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/rrobertscv/medals.jpg

#7 DM1975

DM1975
  • Members
    • Member ID: 281
  • 844 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:05 PM

I have never made one of these before like this but have used light boxes and light tables before. This seems to be a great, cheap alternative to a light box tho. Butcher paperis probably what I would use as well for the seamless background but the top and sides I would for sure use tissue. Good light diffusion that way. Thanks for the link.

#8 Guest_Cody Grayland_*

Guest_Cody Grayland_*
  • Guests
    • Member ID: 94

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:59 PM

This would be my photography studio. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/think.gif studio_a.jpg

Edited by Cody Grayland, 21 May 2007 - 06:00 PM.

#9 Guest_Cody Grayland_*

Guest_Cody Grayland_*
  • Guests
    • Member ID: 8,985

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:01 PM

Typical result with my little studio...

Attached Images

• 2nd_ID__2nd_Battalion__6th_Marines.jpg

#10 CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 265
  • 11,983 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:04 PM

Just poster board? Great idea!

#11 P-E

P-E
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,985
  • 759 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:59 PM

I do exactly the same with my items, and it's always beautiful with white bottom I think !

Posted Image Original pictures with paper sheet

and after that I use programs like "paint.net" or "Photoshop CS4" to add white bottom, it looks like this ;

Posted Image

The only problem, is reflet on lens, but not choice... see by yourself ;

Posted Image

For that, I've no solution... :thumbdown: :crying:

#12 VMI88

VMI88
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,339
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:32 AM

For those who don't feel like making there own light box, here is a good deal on a commercial one:

http://www.meritline...---p-43483.aspx

At the time of this posting it's 39.99 with free shipping, but the company frequently places them on sale for $10 off.

Bill

#13 P-E

P-E
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,374
  • 759 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:26 AM

Interesting. There's also some on sale on ebay ($20 buy it now) ;

http://shop.ebay.com...-All-Categories

But problem is that it looks to be small. I think you can only take in picture patches, or helmet, but it's not functionnal for uniform or bigger items.

#14 Corpsmancollector

Corpsmancollector
  • Members
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:35 AM

Fantastic advice. Thanks!

#15 NickD

NickD
  • Members
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:09 AM

just a couple of good deals on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item4151b467ed

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item51931b9954

#16 NickD

NickD
  • Members
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:29 AM

heres a little something thats very cheap the cut down box cost nothing & the piece of plain white fabric just £2 but it dose the job :thumbsup:

PIC_2550.JPG

#17 NickD

NickD
  • Members
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:30 AM

PIC_2551.JPG

#18 NickD

NickD
  • Members
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:30 AM

PIC_2547.JPG

#19 NickD

NickD
  • Members
    • Member ID: 14,792
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:31 AM

PIC_2548.JPG

#20 NickD

NickD
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:31 AM

PIC_2549.JPG

#21 gitana

gitana
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,617
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:31 AM

This thread has been really helpful as I have no experience in photography. However, I'm finding that the house is now full of those CFL bulbs and everything is so dim. Aside from sunny days outside, what is a good light source I could buy to use as a flash/strobe? And do I have to hook that to the camera, or can I just leave them turned on like a light?

Or is purchasing two small clip-on desk lamps with 75 watt incandescent bulbs the way to go?

#22 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,344
  • 10,285 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:15 AM

This thread has been really helpful as I have no experience in photography. However, I'm finding that the house is now full of those CFL bulbs and everything is so dim. Aside from sunny days outside, what is a good light source I could buy to use as a flash/strobe? And do I have to hook that to the camera, or can I just leave them turned on like a light?

Or is purchasing two small clip-on desk lamps with 75 watt incandescent bulbs the way to go?

I think part of your answer lies in the size of the object that you would like to photograph. If you are looking at photographing medals, then you could use a couple of desklamps. You just have to be able to position them to best illuminate the object. You also can find color corrected light bulbs for this type of fixture. If you are photographing a larger item such as a uniform, I like to use a color corrected painters light similar to those used by house painters. You can find different sizes and it allows you to move the light to reduce the shadows.

As far as using a flash, I prefer not to, if possible as it can wash out the detail of the object. However, you can also create your own filter that will allow you to use the flash if necessary. There is thread here on the forum about using gauze or another material to creat the filter. If I can find it, I'll post it.

Good luck and look forward to seeing your efforts!

#23 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
    • Member ID: 131,595
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:01 PM

My wife bought me an elaborate portable studio system like this for Christmas about 3 years ago. It opens like a tent, comes with portable lights on small tripods, different colored backdrops everything youíd need. Itís sat in the closet right where I put it after looking inside the box and hasnít moved ever since. It was a nice idea (and I feel bad that she knows Iíve never even tried to set it up once) but the thing would take quite a while to set up and break down and I just donít need to do that. Usually I take photos of things in the same ways already shown here and it works out just fine. I bring this up because itís a temptation to get the gee-whiz setups like that, but you need to think about how often youíd use anything like that. Just go to a good camera store and youíll find plenty of cool gadgets like that for sale from previous owners that never got used. Thereís a reason for that.

#24 M1Marksman

M1Marksman
  • Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

I throw a white sheet on the sofa, turn on the lamp & open the blinds. For close-up shots, I use the macro setting on my camera & use plenty of light. Costs me nothing.

#25 stealthytyler

stealthytyler
  • Members
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:20 PM

Diffused light is the way to go. Use anything from silk to bed sheets to wax paper that you cook with. You dont have to have expensive gear to get good photos! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users