• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 king802

king802
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,878
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:16 AM

As i am in the process of going through a house move http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/crying.gif , i have a rare moment when all my helmets are out of storage.
Sitting in front of me are six Hawley liners, 3 of each pattern. Now at first look they all seem identical, until you look at them from the side and you notice that one of them has a thicker brim at the front. The one concerned is a 2nd pattern with no markings inside at all. The difference in the brim size is quite evident. On the other 5 the brim narrows just under the front seam but on the 6th it doesn't. Sorry, but no time to post pics.

Anyone with a Hawley and a General fibre ever noticed a difference in the brim size ?

It may be nothing at all but a variation in manufacturing http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/think.gif

Any ideas ?

Rich

#2 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 4
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:33 PM

Here's a near mint 1st pattern fiber liner rig I used to own that had no markings on the liner. Never was sure who made it.

Attached Images

• hawley1_m1.JPG

Edited by M-1Helmet.com, 14 September 2009 - 12:29 PM.

#3 GI 44

GI 44
  • Members
    • Member ID: 40
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:49 PM

Rich,

I can see no difference between my two 1st patterns, one General and one Hawley. Maybe the nature of their materials causes such variation? http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/think.gif

Chris

#4 M-1Helmet.com

M-1Helmet.com
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,099
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:53 AM

Differences in the thickness of the rim of fibre liners can be found indeed. But is seems to be a random thing, not related to a maker.

Posted Image

Hawley left - General Fibre Co right

Pete

#5 Hill 84

Hill 84
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,229
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:26 AM

Hello,

Just looking at the Liner on the right of the picture (Post#4), I notice the thickness is also not the same in the front and the side of it (where, in "storage position" the chinstraps could be the first in contact!). Is someone here to share an opinion, that this could be only due to storage conditons (helmet "up" or "down", duration...) and the weight of the steel pot which naturally tends to push more at the visor locally ?

Regards,

Hil 84

Edited by Hill 84, 23 January 2009 - 05:28 AM.

#6 M-1Helmet.com

M-1Helmet.com
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,099
  • 228 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:49 AM

Regarding the thickness of the rim of fibre liners what I see in my collection is a wide variation of shape and thickness of the rims.

Regards,

Pete

Edited by M-1Helmet.com, 14 September 2009 - 12:32 PM.

#7 Hill 84

Hill 84
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,229
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:07 AM

Hello,

Looking at the Liner you pictured (on the right) I notice that the thickness is not the same on the sides than the one on the front of the (same) Liner. I would like to know the opinion of the others about that, because I think the thickness may depend only of the 'wear' of the Liner, the (more exposed) front being 'crashed' a little bit more than the sides...

Hope this help.

Regards,

Hill 84.

Edited by M-1Helmet.com, 14 September 2009 - 12:33 PM.

#8 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,549
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:19 PM

Joe sits on his helmet when there is no other place to sit. I'm betting that some Joe used this as a stool and the paper quality of this liner would probably crush from the weight. Just a guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users