2 replies to this topic

#1 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 566
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:05 AM

I picked up an odd little scope from a surplus shop. Normally, I would have passed this thing by because it is commercial. However, the shop had lots of used uniforms, NVG mounts, survival gear, etc. and this scope was sitting in the case. For the price the guy was asking, I couldn't pass it up. According to the guy, a soldier brought it in for sale. The scope has been through Hell and the lenses have a fine sand encrusted around the edges. It is a Simmons scope and I'm not even sure what power it is. I just thought it was a neat find regardless. Don't let the outside fool you, the optics still work well. When I got home, I tried it out on one of dad's AR-15's and it mounted perfectly on top of the carrying handle. Since then, I have bought a rail and am in the process of buying the scope rings. Someday, I'll buy an AR-15 to put it on.

Anyone know if the military used Simmons scopes? Were soldiers allowed to purchase civilian scopes for their own use? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!
Arch

Attached Images

• 3rd_AAAAA_108.jpg
  • 3rd_AAAAA_109.jpg

Edited by nkomo, 19 January 2009 - 09:07 AM.

#2 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 566
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:06 AM

Last pic.

Attached Images

• 3rd_AAAAA_110.jpg

#3 MIke_L.

MIke_L.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 282
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:03 AM

I don't recall ever seeing Simmons scopes in 27 years of service but that just means they weren't in the supply system and likely would have been a unit purchase or a private purchased scope that someone put on his assigned weapon. Private purchase weapon bling was generally frowned upon-very few bothered with it. Often, ammo was tight so there wasn't enough to zero the weapon and a scope. And, of course, the weapon took priority in zeroing. More than likely, this was a private purchase scope.

I do remember once, in the 82nd, our unit bought some civilian scopes, 3X if I recall correctly, for a big exercise we were going to down in JRTC. The intent was that the scopes would give us an advantage with the MILES gear-the scopes would be zeroed to the MILES laser. As long as it was unit issue, they would be allowed in the box. They were the little Norinco looking scopes with made in China marked on them. Each squad got 2 or 3. I remember them as I thought it was odd to have Chinese scopes on our US M16s and it was the first time I had been in a unit that bought civilian stuff for official field use. The scopes came off after the big deployment and were never seen again. They may still be in the arms room's back corner for all I know. Not many were impressed with them as I recall. More because we just weren't used to using optics back then rather than the quality of the scopes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users