JACKPOT! Huge ID'd Archive to WWI Observer Owen G Williams

cthomas

Where do I begin....

This huge archive is identified to Owen G Williams who served in the 2nd Army Air Service as an observer/photographer. This grouping contains well over 2,000 photos of various sizes & content. There are countless never-before-seen images in those manila envelopes & cardboard boxes. Many topics & locations covered such as great in-the-air shots, private images of Rickenbacker's Spad, captured German equipment (personal armor, weapons, heavy mortars, even a pic or two of flamethrowers...), loads of original glass plate & celluloid negatives, many shots of different types of aircraft (German & Allied), great images of squadron marked 'machines' (85th, 94th, 135th, 278th...), some pics that later became commericialized, various books/pamphlets, some letters from a French lady friend..., some medals, buttons & disks, reams of photo copied paperwork & research (even a newspaper clipping of an interview with Williams done back in the mid 60's), period book on the history of the 2nd Army Air Service (the seated portrait of its commander, Col F.P. Lahm was taken by Williams), a handful of wartime printed issues of the Aero News "Established, Owned And Operated by the 82th Sqdn", French restaurant menus & pamphlets, many navigation maps (more on that possible night operations map to follow...), 2nd Army, bullion 4th Corps & rank patches, photography school notebook (with hand-drawn camera diagrams). I've tried to name most of the stuff here but I know I'm not doing it justice.

To top it off, it comes with his personal diary. Well filled out... a day to day blow from his Stateside departure to his arrival in England. Filled with humor & many sobering moments. What's more, a vast majority of the photos are ID'd on back with long descriptions on some (almost like diary entries). For instance, on the back of that Rickenbacker image I eluded to earlier, he mentions something to the effect of just missing Eddie by an hour. If I didn't already mention it before, the diary is the key point to the collection. It not only gives a time line to photos in this group, but helps ID some of the many bombed out villages that would have most likely remain anonymous.

What I plan on doing with this group is to write a book. Whether I publish it privately or go more commercial (say for instance, Schiffer) remains sometime in the near future. First I need to start scanning & taking a few notes...

Your opinions/ideas/suggestions are always welcomed!

In the mean time, enjoy some pics!

-Chuck

post-518-1231843925.jpg

Just an idea of what is in one of the boxes...That's an 85th Aero Squadron marked machine you see there on top of the pile-o-images...

post-518-1231844178.jpg

Chuck: Congrats on a great find! Looking forward to the book thumbsup.gif or and get a lawyer to help guide you through the negations for publishing....after talking to several others who are or did write books, they needed the legal help along the way....looks like you have a lot of single source of information material here.

Holy Mackerel....... :o That is a BIG haul! And all from WWI!! How did you ever come across something like this? Very good job well done. thumbsup.gif You will be the envy of the forum very soon and I am also looking forward to the book.

- Jeff

some of the patches,books, more pics & other items...

Of note is the image at bottom left. It came with that description done in period ink by Williams.

Lt. Alan Winslow of the 94th Aero Squadron was the first American pilot to down an aircraft for the US Air Service. He was credited with this milestone victory on April 14, 1918 when he downed the German Albatros you see here in Toul, France. A simple google search should turn up more info...

I'd also like to point out the two snapshots in the box at the top right corner....a doughboy posing with captured German rifle, Pickelhaube....AAAAANNNNNDDDD... German Trench Body Armour :blink:

That matchbox you also see with the victorian lady on the label is filled with candles which are identified to a friend of Williams who used them for a little lighting while in their humble abode...

post-518-1231844988.jpg

the 2nd Army Air Service history book (ID'd to Williams)....1 box showing some of the original glass plate negatives...and a view of a map marked "1914-1918 Night Map". I'd love to confirm this was indeed a specialized map for night operations...

Aero buffs...front & center! Need your help on this one :)

I almost forgot....that's his diary on top of the 2nd Air Service history....

post-518-1231845269.jpg

More 'stuff'...

It was really hard to capture all that this grouping entailed.

Take for instance those manila envelopes at top left. Each of those are loaded with the larger 8" X 11" images.

You also get an idea of how Williams ID'd some of these photo lots (see period inscribed pieces of cardboard on top of the photo lots)

post-518-1231845577.jpg

Thank you for the comments & bits of encouragement. They are very much appreciated! I'll definitely look more into legal help when it comes time to put it into book format.

One last juicy tidbit....

There are a series of six 2" X roughly 2" photos on a strip that appear to have come from a Lewis gun camera. Now, those have to be quite unique. Any one know of such photos in existence? I'd love to compare the two...

Wow...

I'd say military history is lucky that someone who cares got ahold of that collection - the type of stuff that too often ends up in a fireplace or garbage sack.

Having been a professional in a field where finds like that came along rarely, I know what it means and congratulate you.

Hi, Truly wonderful mementos! You might want to consider a web site, which isn't all that hard to create and doesn't require legal advice.

Best wishes, Jim

First off...outstanding collection.

Second - being a journalist myself I would consider self-publishing. It is easy to do. If you are no tin a rush and can take the time it is well worth the effort. You will have total control over the finished product and you will reap more of the monetary reward. I wrote, self-published and self-marketed my own book on Disney's involvement in WW II and I did quite well with sales.

You could also consider having your book published through one of the University presses or through Xlibris.

If you want more info, feel free to PM me or contact me through the email address on my blog:

http://www.toonsatwar.blogspot.com

Cheers!

David

I was just thinking after I re-read your post, you need to contact a good Museum's conservation department to find the best way to store your glass and celluloid negatives...

I was just thinking after I re-read your post, you need to contact a good Museum's conservation department to find the best way to store your glass and celluloid negatives...

Go here to obtain "interleaving tissue" for placement between glass and celluloid negatives.

Link:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=26375

There are two types of this paper material.

1. A kind which closely resembles white tissue wrapping paper, but is neutral pH.

2. A kind which closely resembles thin wax paper (but isn't waxed), is usually a light greenish color and is also neutral pH.

These come either in long rolls about 30-36" wide or in cut sheet (normally about 30 x 24" or so), and sometimes in smaller cut sheets. All of which can (and should be) easily cut to size of artifacts in order that the negatives can be fit into a neutral pH box (see also: Solander or Hollinger varieties > expensive vs cheaper) so that the material moves around as little as possible.

That second kind would probably be choice #1 for any photographic interleaving/barrier storage, but #1 would work too.

Heavier Kraft paper envelopes exist in the link above which are neutral pH too, but the tissue method is less apt to damage delicate old things... in my opinion and experience.

Wow...I just got up from working the graveyard shift to find all of these replies. It's real exciting to see you all respond the way you've been doing. It confirms what I've been thinking all along- the rest of the collecting community, history buffs & professionals historians alike could really appreciate its content. We could certainly all learn from its content & I'm only too willing to share it with you all.

Right now, the biggest project is to preserve what I've got.

Bluehawk- thank you for your preservation advice. I've thought about it many times before but every time I take a look at the hundreds of negatives & glass plates, I'd dare say I almost get discouraged. Almost.....There is no other way than to sit down & follow a course of action like you suggested (I'm no stranger to it all-been there before with other parts of my collection). I just wish I had a pair of expert hands like yours to help me through the process.

If someone wants to take a trip to sunny Roseau, Minnesota, you're help would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Rattle- Hello from the US! I noticed you were from Bavaria.... I have many photos here that you may really appreciate. In fact, I just may need your help in identifying certain locations. If it comes to that, may I contact you?

Disneydave- We certainly will talk in the near future. I'm leaning towards self-marketing this hoard-o-history. I'll be dropping you a line soon....

Again, thank you all for your input. Your words of advice & comments are very much appreciated thumbsup.gif

I hope to excite you all as much as I get every time I start sorting through the content.

In the mean time, enjoy the rest of the scans!

Here's one little gem....

An exotic camo job on a Liberty(?) machine. The insignia seen just above my water mark belongs to the 85th Aero Squadron. The 85th's insignia consisted of a Cupid wearing a campaign cap & sitting on top of the world.

Has anyone seen such a bizarre paint scheme?

post-518-1231877064.jpg

Croix de Guerre

WOW! Holy Cow Chuck! :lol: Seeing this makes me wish I had bought it when I had the chance a few years ago! I am so glad it went to you instead of some one who might have broken it up! I envy you the chance to pour through this all and to organize it. Getting a group like this and for all intents and purposes being the first one to really go through it and put it into proper order, sort of gives you a special bond with Mr. Williams that any future owners of this group won't quite have. I look forward to seeing some of those great photos and learning more about Mr. Williams as you get it all organized.

Congradulations my freind! This group couldn't have gone to a better man!

post-3356-1231879164.jpg

...Bluehawk- thank you for your preservation advice. I've thought about it many times before but every time I take a look at the hundreds of negatives & glass plates, I'd dare say I almost get discouraged. Almost.....There is no other way than to sit down & follow a course of action like you suggested (I'm no stranger to it all-been there before with other parts of my collection). I just wish I had a pair of expert hands like yours to help me through the process.

If someone wants to take a trip to sunny Roseau, Minnesota, you're help would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Wish I could, not only to help out and finger the stuff in person, but also to see lovely Minnesota again - I lived in Springfield for 1st & 2nd grade (my grandfather was the pastor of their Methodist Church), and did a long canoe trip from Ely north through Moose Lake etc etc etc, as a nine year old with 2 uncles.

That camo job on the bi-plane is a first that I've ever seen like it. Maybe others more familiar with WW1 aviation know what it is.