5 INCH ROCKET HEAD MK 10

Brian Keith

Brian Keith

Here is a neat training aid I picked up at a flea market many years ago. As you can see, it is marked: INERT; 5 INCH ROCKET HEAD MK 10; TNT LOADED (SIMULATED); NOSE FUZE MK 30 MOD 4. The only markings I find are the painted ones. Doing a bit of internet searching it appears it is a US Navy, high capacity, fin stabilized, surface rocket, used for bombardment purposes. As you can see, this has been turned into a “Training Aid” at some point or was purpose built as a training aid. The simulated TNT explosive was originally painted yellow, and the fuze booster was painted orange.
The Nose Fuze MK30 MOD 4, is a point detonating type fuze and some of my fuze is missing.
It has an intact Base Shipping Cap attached that would unscrew for assembly to the rocket motor. I’m not really sure when this example would have been made, likely late WW II- Korean War era’s I guess.
Thanks for looking! Comments Welcome!
BKW
post-1549-0-56355600-1586110652_thumb.jpg
post-1549-0-11199900-1586110671_thumb.jpg
More photo's to follow.

Internet sources state the 5" Zuni was developed in 1957. I would search for 5" Zuni with the MK 10 warhead. Generally speaking , I know TNT was displaced from use when Comp B and other explosives were introduced.,I would place it as a pre Vietnam era (1960's) manufacture. Loads of internet sources to wade through, but the answer to date it can be found through the fuze and warhead MK number which is inked on it.

Your rocket head is listed in the 1947 dated Pamplet.

"U.S. Explosive Ordnance, OP 1664, 1947, describes and illustrates United States Navy projectiles, Army and Navy rockets, pyrotechnics, grenades, land mines, bombs, and guided missiles."

So- dating to at least 1947. Another manual of Navy rockets ( WW2 rockets) does not list your Model MK numbers, so I assume very late WW2 ?... But most likely early post war.

Brian Keith

Thanks for the additional info and comments folks! I did find the “michaelhiske” site when I was looking for info. I went back and looked at it some more and I made an error on the initial description, it is not “fin stabilized, it is “spin stabilized” actually a big difference. When attached to the rocket motor it is a complete round, no fins. In the above site, it is called the “HCSR (High Capacity Spinner Rocket)”. 917601, I think you nailed the time frame, probably very late to just post- WW II. As you say loads of internet sources to wade through, sometimes I'm not too patient.
Glad you liked seeing it,
BKW