45th ID Combat Medic, WIA by a Schu-mine

36thIDAlex

Trying a new format for my pics with this one.

Private Paul Melicharek was born to a small family of Czechoslovakian immigrants and by the time of the war worked as an elevator operator for Chase Bank on Wall Street. He received his draft notice in late 1943 and began training in field medical procedures. Shipped to Europe, he was assigned to the 180th IR, 45th ID as a replacement following the invasion of Southern France. Attached to an infantry platoon, Melicharek became quite familiar with the brutalities of war as a frontline combat medic in the terrible fighting of the Vosges Mountains. In early November, however, he would find himself on the receiving end. Chasing a German unit that had retreated to Raon L’Etape, the infantry soon became bogged in a dense forest full of roadblocks, booby traps, and massive fields of Schu-mines. It was in one of these minefields that Melichareks platoon-mate made a fatal step. Luckily he was only beside him, but he still suffered shrapnel injuries to his eye, hand, and arm. He would recover by he end of the month, however, and rejoined the 45th for operations pushing into Germany

I’ve always been a big fan of the 45th, not the least because they fought much alongside my grandfather in the 36th. I know the uniform is fairly plain, but this was my first combat medic uniform and I found the story interesting. The neat patch stitching seems to have been done by the vet for decorative purpose. There is evidence where it was once fully sewn on but perhaps he wanted to be a little more frilly in occupation. Still, I am proud to keep the story and sacrifice of Private Melicharek alive.

Also, much thanks to Plick27 for the research help.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Situation map and location of the 180th

Posted Image

Posted Image

It appears the forests were covered with these

Posted Image

Posted Image

Old Crow 1986

Nice jacket. I like the "non-finished" - finishing touch on the division patch. Even better with the history, thanks for keeping Private Melicharek's story alive!

• 3 weeks later...
Brian Dentino

Very nice uniform to a Thunderbird for sure! Great story to go along with it as well. Thanks for sharing this gem with us here!

• 9 months later...