Original cap?

phil.co1

See what I can do, just wondered if these were produced at all as it looks too well made to be a homemade thing.

Here's my wild stab at this. The cap is NOT a WWII army officer's cap. We know that because there isn't a woven band around the base of the cap. The chinstrap not matching the bill tells me that the chinstrap is not original to the cap. They ALWAYS match when they come from the manufacturer.

The material looks like dark olive drab gaberdine to me. It would be very odd to see one made out of herringbone cotton twill. It is POSSIBLE that the cap was an aviation cadet's cap that someone put an officer's device on. I know there were some AC caps that came with a blue woven band that could be switched out to an officer's band after graduation from flight training.

It would be interesting to see the cap in good light and to see the inside of the cap. Right now, you are just getting my educated guess.

Allan

manayunkman

It looks like HBT from my end.

Is that the question: has anyone seen an HBT one ?

Or is the question: is this real?

It looks like HBT from my end.

Is that the question: has anyone seen an HBT one ?

Or is the question: is this real?

HBT is a cloth used for fatigue uniforms, not for dress uniforms. It is unlikely this cap is made from HBT.

FT.Monmouth1943

I agree that it does look like HBT. I personally have not seen a cap like this made of HBT before. Like others have said, if you can get a picture of the inside that would help a lot.

- Jakob

It might be a gag hat made for some overall wearing motor pool officer who wanted everyone to know he was the man in charge. I can think of several gag gifts we "presented" to lieutenants who thought they were more important than they actually were. Just my guess anyway.