BA-22 Chute Question (F-1B rip cord)

viking73

Hi Gents,

I finally found a nice F-1B Release, Parachute Rip Cord, Automatic to add to one of my BA-22 parachutes that I have. I don't have it in hand yet, but should get it in another day or two. A photo of it is below:

post-5482-0-07920200-1585695431_thumb.jpg

Getting to my question - the chute I have already has the ribbed metal tubing in place for this rip cord - just no rip cord handle or main black box. Since this tube is already attached/sewn onto the chute I have (see photo below) is it possible to just add the rip cord handle and main box to the existing tube that is already in place? Or do I have to remove it and add the entire assembly on together? Hope this makes sense!

Are there any BA-22 T.O.s out there to check out?

Thanks in advance,

-Derek

post-5482-0-86333600-1585695703_thumb.jpg

You will likely get a reply from ‘Mohawk ALSE.’ He was kind enough to email some PDFs of BA-22 manual sections in the past. In the meantime, you can try unscrewing the ripcord sheathing/housing connector from the F-1B to see if you can get the cable to release from the F-1B box. If you can get the cable released, then it is just a matter of using the housing/sheathing already on the harness, rethreading the cable through the ripcord sheathing/housing. Since I assume you are using this for display purposes there would be no reason to reattach the cable to the F-1B. Just mount the F-1B in it’s pocket and thread on the housing/sheathing connector already mounted on the harness. I did a similar thing with an F-1B that I mounted, but it did not have the cable and knob assembly. I used one off another another auto-altitude actuator assembly that I had. If this doesn’t work for you, you can just mount the ripcord housing that comes with your F-1B, and remove the housing that is already attached to your harness. It is only sewn with heavy duty thread that you can purchase through Para-Gear.

I think I understand what you are asking. Yes, you can take the arming cable loose from the F-1B body, thread the cable through that housing, and reassemble the unit. A word of caution, there is a 45 pound pull spring in the F-1B that retracts the power cable to pull the ripcord pin. If the device is armed, when you pull the release it will set the timer in motion and will fire the opener. Be prepared for that by not having your fingers tangled in the power cable...

I don't see a ripcord in the housing. You will need one of those to assemble the chute correctly. One of the ripcord pins goes through the loop on the power cable. When the cable retracts it pulls that pin, thus pulling all the pins and opens the chute.

I can't remember your email address. PM me with it and I will email you the section of the parachute manual covering the release.

Doesn't the F-1B also have a anodized red spring clip that fastens on the the ripcord pull handle?

Oh man, really? So all F-1B units should have that hook?

-Derek

Not necessarily The zero delay lanyards had an assortment of "keys" on them for various types of seat belts. The "gold key" on yours is the most common. The others were usually removed because they were unnecessary. If you plan on displaying the chute in a specific "odd" combination, you may still be looking, but if the chute is a stand alone, you are good!

Here is a typical setup. The snap is a storage/safety feature moving the chute around. It is uncool to be walking around and to get your zero delay lanyard hung on something and your chute come popping out the back...

post-177224-0-42293600-1585745715_thumb.jpg

BlueBookGuy

hello, I permit myself saying there could be some confusions about this matter.

The lanyard sporting the 'gold ring' is not the 'zero-delay' one. It's the very delay that attaches to the left-side half of seat lap belt. It only goes there, is always used, will lock together with the closing hardware of the said half-belt, and will pull out the ripcord when seat belt(s) will open - and, seat itself will part company with airman. Jerk by the seat (with spring-lanyard attached) will pull out the canopy.

Rather, zero-delay lanyard is a different thing - it's the other green lanyard as seen on Viking's setup, just there it's missing the red anodyzed, spring hook that really must be present in order to get the complete fitting. At wich point it can be unclipped to the manual handle at all heights above (I believe) 8,000', but has to be clipped under that level - in fact "zero-delay" because being directly attached to the manual handle, it will by-pass the time of delay (a pre-set time in the F-1B box) and immediately will deploy the canopy when close to the ground.

I've got a couple BA-18 'chutes both complete with the red hook, will attach some pics. Franco.

Thanks a million for the .pdf files today RWW and for your photos here. I'm going to go into work early tomorrow and print the .pdf files all out. That will give me something to read this weekend :)

BlueBlookGuy - thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to seeing your photos!

-Derek

phantomfixer

The red upper handle allows for immediate release of the pins, and lower activates the F1 timer for a standard deployment, if I am reading this correctly..

The T-38s at Langey have unmodified ejection seats and still use a zero delay...

More good stuff! Thanks J!!

I have another question on rip cords.

If my chute has this rip cord:

post-5482-0-77583400-1585779124_thumb.jpg

phantomfixer

Derek...that handle is the setup we use here at Dover...so not having ejection seats...that is the manual ripcord, pull handle...jump out and pull...or allow the F-1 to do it's thing...it is setup on timer...mine is tabbed at 4 seconds

Derek...that handle is the setup we use here at Dover...so not having ejection seats...that is the manual ripcord, pull handle...jump out and pull...or allow the F-1 to do it's thing...it is setup on timer...mine is tabbed at 4 seconds

Which one - the first one or the smaller over the shoulder "T" handle like in BBG's photos?

So the larger handle wouldn't be used in a/c with ejection seats? The over the shoulder "T" handle rip cord would only be used by a/c with ejection seats?

-Derek

phantomfixer

Sorry..the T handle that you have is for non ejection seatuse...we used the BA for SOLL II operations...not when carrying passengers...