Attached Images

• post-18406-0-29275500-1483855386.jpg

#27 aerialbridge

aerialbridge
  • Members
    • Member ID: 18,406
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:56 PM

This USS New York Good Conduct is dated about 8 months after Dick's posted above, and is definitely a different layout and I believe a different hand. Rundquist and Rosloof most certainly knew each other, being shipmates and fellow New Yorkers.   Note that Dick's Good Conduct engraving has an interesting facet, it seems to say "New Yory"

Attached Images

• Good conduct.jpg

#28 aerialbridge

aerialbridge
  • Members
    • Member ID: 18,406
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:59 PM

Chief Gunner's Mate John Rosloof's son SGT James Rosloof, 7th IR, 3rd ID,  KIA in the Anzio Breakout on 23 May 1944.  They shared an April 6 birthday, 52 years apart.  John died the year after his son, 29 December 1945.

Attached Images

• post-18406-0-57042400-1483859911.jpg

#29 Jim T

Jim T
  • Members
    • Member ID: 152,102
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:01 PM

Hermanus & Gerradtgrant:

Originally, the Sampson Medal was issued to a limited number of ships who participated in a limited amount of actions from May to August 1898; the basic engagement was indicated on the back of the medal. They were generally simple medals with a top ship bar however some had extra bars, indicating multiple actions, hung by links  from the ship's bar. Those are what are now called the "Phase I" medals because other ships which were in the area subsequently asked that their service be recognized. From that request the list of  ships (and actions) was expanded; those are now known as  "Phase II" issues. A third round occurred when Phase I awardees asked that those actions of Phase II be recognized. That request resulted in the addition of the extra bars and those are what is currently called "Phase III" Sampsons. . 

Jim T.

Edited by Jim T, 29 March 2020 - 05:09 PM.

#30 kanemono

kanemono
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,487
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:29 AM

Here is a Sampson group to Jenner Fast USS Yankee. I have no idea what Phase this medal would be.

Attached Images

• all-medals-plain-background.jpg
  • Sampson-cut-out-front-and-reverse.jpg
  • photo-Fast-book.jpg
  • Sampson-name.jpg

#31 Gerradtgrant

Gerradtgrant
  • Members
    • Member ID: 162,939
  • 620 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 06:14 AM

Hermanus & Gerradtgrant:

Originally, the Sampson Medal was issued to a limited number of ships who participated in a limited amount of actions from May to August 1898; the basic engagement was indicated on the back of the medal. They were generally simple medals with a top ship bar however some had extra bars, indicating multiple actions, hung by links  from the ship's bar. Those are what are now called the "Phase I" medals because other ships which were in the area subsequently asked that their service be recognized. From that request the list of  ships (and actions) was expanded; those are now known as  "Phase II" issues. A third round occurred when Phase I awardees asked that those actions of Phase II be recognized. That request resulted in the addition of the extra bars and those are what is currently called "Phase III" Sampsons. . 

Jim T.

Thank you for that clear explanation. Makes more sense now.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

#32 Mustang.CDR

Mustang.CDR
  • Members
    • Member ID: 125,168
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 06:28 AM

Here is a Sampson group to Jenner Fast USS Yankee. I have no idea what Phase this medal would be.

This is an outstanding group! As I also collect New York Naval Militia this is really special to me.  The Yankee Sampson should be a Phase II.

#33 Hermanus

Hermanus
  • Members
    • Member ID: 104,867
  • 475 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:38 AM

Hermanus & Gerradtgrant:

Jim T.

Thanks for the explanation.

Regards
Herman

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users