7 replies to this topic

#1 shrapneldude

shrapneldude
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,424
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:10 PM

Hello all!
Ok...first off, I've been selling chin strap and crown inserts for the USMC Marine Infantry Combat Helmet / Lightweight kevlar helmet. They're preferable to the old PASGT suspension, but it occurred to me that the vast difference in value between the old PASGT kevlars and the newer helmets might cause some people to try to turn a profit.
Here's a quick guide on how to tell the difference if you don't know.
Below are 3 helmets, 2 are PASGT and 1 is the USMC LWH MICH.
10JAN_007.JPG
The coloring on two of them look nearly identical -- the rough green, and the old PASGTs USUALLY have a more OD paint color, but as we know from M1s, that can be redone a thousand times over.

10JAN_011.JPG
Flip them over and check the suspension assembly...hey, almost looks like two MICH helmets there, right?

Edited by Bugme, 11 November 2009 - 08:32 AM.

#2 shrapneldude

shrapneldude
  • Members
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:12 PM

There are a few keys, other than size, weight, and thickness of the old PASGT helmets.
If you've never handled the newer ones, and one comes up at a show, you may not know the difference.

There are 2 holes for the the chin strap screw on either side of the PASGT that are not on the newer helmets.

10JAN_008.JPG
NEW LWH -- MICH

10JAN_009.JPG
OLD PASGT

10JAN_010.JPG
PASGT W/ Screws removed...I imagine they'll try plugging these holes and painting them over, but they'll still be there.

#3 shrapneldude

shrapneldude
  • Members
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

Color of the inside kevlar is another indicator -- the old PASGT were very dark or very light brown. The newer ones, at least all the Marine ones I've seen, are a lime green type color inside. They should have a paper tag sticker inside, but these do fall out. PASGT helmets were normally marked as such, but again, this can be altered by the unscrupulous resellers who'll try to con you. When the value difference is hundreds of dollars, you can never be too careful.

10JAN_012.JPG
NEW

10JAN_013.JPG
OLD with NEW insert

#4 shrapneldude

shrapneldude
  • Members
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:20 PM

EB29DEC_024.JPG

Here is what the parts look like outside the helmet. Don't buy one that has screw holes in the ears, or if you do, don't pay top dollar for it!

I think this will be great intel for the future as well...getting an early jump on fake detection for the OIF stuff will save your kids money when they start collecting the stuff years down the line.

Also -- if anyone has any detailed shots of the Army combat helmet, please post them here as well.

Edited by shrapneldude, 10 January 2009 - 08:21 PM.

#5 ArchangelDM

ArchangelDM
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,861
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:07 AM

EB29DEC_024.JPG

Here is what the parts look like outside the helmet. Don't buy one that has screw holes in the ears, or if you do, don't pay top dollar for it!

I think this will be great intel for the future as well...getting an early jump on fake detection for the OIF stuff will save your kids money when they start collecting the stuff years down the line.
Also -- if anyone has any detailed shots of the Army combat helmet, please post them here as well.

Hi i recently bought a PASGT kevlar helmet from the states and wanted to know if its original, it looks it aslo what are your views on prices for the future and are they going to be collectable. Mine comes with a graffiti cover saying pigs wheels with a pic of a pig drawn on, usmc symbol on front ??? Please let me know
Here is some pics
Thanks Dean

Attached Images

• __KGrHqR__hIE1f_K_wOsBNhr03Dl8g___3.jpg
  • __KGrHqV__g8E1fkWJuUTBNhr00YnOw___3.jpg
  • __KGrHqJ__iwE1L6Dqfs_BNhr07O_rw___3.jpg
  • __KGrHqJ__i_E1Kst_fC7BNhr09_sCw___3.jpg

#6 ArchangelDM

ArchangelDM
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,861
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:08 AM

P.S paid $76 USD

Thanks

#7 shrapneldude

shrapneldude
  • Members
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:31 PM

P.S paid $76 USD

Thanks

That's a real US Issue kevlar PASGT helmet alright.
These were replaced by the Lightweight Helmet / LWH model by the 2003/2004 time frame for combat troops.

As to the price, $76 seems a bit high. These still pop up at flea markets here in the states for around $20 USD. Some guys try to sell them for $50 and that seems to be the going "dealer" price. If you like it, and can't find one like it for a better price, then you're OK. :thumbsup:

My suspicion is that once the LWH / Combat used helmets begin to trickle out of service and onto the market, they'll drop a bit in price, but will always be more collectible than the PASGT due to the combat connection.

#8 avidcollector

avidcollector
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151,250
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

As you said that you were selling crown pads and chinstraps how much would it cost me to buy a full chin strap assembly from you because I want a Marine chinstrap for my PASGT because I don't like how the Oregon Aero chinstrap fits.

Thanks Randy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users