Named 13th AF Transitional Blues Ike Jacket Help

36thIDAlex

Hey everyone,

So I got this set a few years ago and only recently had the opportunity to really identify it. The group includes a 1949 dated transitions ike jacket and matching pants, but I’ve only included pictures of the jacket. The jacket itself has a few bits remaining, in particular the 13th AF patch, a good number of service stripes, and a laundry number written inside “B-0549”. I was having trouble finding a solid ID but now with the release of the Air Medal cards from the Air Force, believe I have been able to pin the uniform to a Sgt William E Bailey. I haven’t been able to find anything on his postwar service but I believe this gentleman ties the 13th AF and service stripe amount to the laundry number.

The rank on the jacket denotes the individual as a sergeant and was the Air Force equivalent of the Army rank, as this is before the title Airman was distinguished and the current ranks were established. My real question for the forum is whether a laundry number would have transferred from Army Air Corps service to the new Air Force? This is the only serial number with matching service to the 13th AF and was hoping someone could give me any pointers as to whether they think I’m on the right track or if I’ve missed something about the transition from AAF to AF.

As always any help is appreciated.

Best,

Alex

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Captainofthe7th

The service number would transition with the individual. Post WWII you see the addition of AF as a prefix, so Bailey's post war number would be AF17120549.

I've been revisiting a bit but still don't find a better match.

Rob