Ebay purchase “what have I got here”

ArchangelDM

ArchangelDM

Afternoon

I really liked the look of this one so I went for it, named to a LOPATTO I started to do some digging.

There are 4 on the NARA register and 2 from Wilkes Barra PA so I looked them up. One was In the CBI theatre of war for 3 years and the other the ETO.

Both enlisted in 42/43 so both where operational during WW2. The other 2 Where from New York and Philadelphia so not local.

The first 2 are 40 mins from the seller and he said he got it local so Im currently waiting on what town he got the helmet from at the yard sale. That way I can determine whos it is. Seller has no other military items but lots of house items so it ties In.

Apart from the rare green SC liner thats also named to him I see the corporal stripes and the intact leather strap which is nice.

My question is what are the 3 white rectangles on the helmet , 1 either side and a NCO bar at the back ?

Has anybody seen any like this before ? With the Possible connection of the CBI is this a TAC marking used maybe In Burma ?

Lots of questions

Any help would be appreciated , TIA

- Dean

ArchangelDM

Have your researched the laundry number at all? Maybe "Lopatto" is a first name or nickname?

Hunt

Lopatto is a surname I believe , there are only 4 LOPATTOs on NARA

Any help looking up laundry number would help me pleaee anyone

huntssurplus

http://wwii-enlistment.com/search/?q=s1921&select=laundryNumber&quick-search=1&page=1

Unfortunately there are 99 results for "S-1921". Doesn't look like a "Lopatto" on any of the first names either, a few L middle names, but I find that unlikely. I think you are right that Lopatto is a surname, the shell was most likely reissued. Unlikely the laundry number will be of much use though.

Hunt

Maybe it's just my mind, but the marking on the liner looks like it was once a square, and not a rectangle. I can't tell if it's tape residue, or just dirt/patina on the liner.
BKjR0Cn.png

http://wwii-enlistment.com/search/?q=s1921&select=laundryNumber&quick-search=1&page=1

Unfortunately there are 99 results for "S-1921". Doesn't look like a "Lopatto" on any of the first names either, a few L middle names, but I find that unlikely. I think you are right that Lopatto is a surname, the shell was most likely reissued. Unlikely the laundry number will be of much use though.

Hunt

In agreement

ArchangelDM

Maybe it's just my mind, but the marking on the liner looks like it was once a square, and not a rectangle. I can't tell if it's tape residue, or just dirt/patina on the liner.

BKjR0Cn.png

Could be dirt and scuffs making the marking or a square halved to make a rectangle.

ArchangelDM

Could be dirt and scuffs making the marking or a square halved to make a rectangle.

Or rubbing has removed part of the square

ArchangelDM

Hunt

Thanks Hunt for the link

Moonlight Gecko

Could it be a white engineer castle with the top of the castles removed? Name on front and small NCO bar seem consistent with those type of engineer helmets

ArchangelDM

Could it be a white engineer castle with the top of the castles removed? Name on front and small NCO bar seem consistent with those type of engineer helmets

Now thats not a bad guess at all moonlight !! Thats a possibility

Thankyou for the input

manayunkman

If my eyes aren’t playing tricks I would say that’s a castle that has had the turrets and feet removed.

I take it you don’t have it in hand?

Sure want to see close ups of the insignia on the steel pot.

Burning Hazard

I was watching this helmet hoping to bid; that NCO bar on the back of the shell is what had me interested.

My guess is that it's a double issued helmet; quite common as I've owned fixed bails with 2-3 laundry numbers in them.

Post pics once it arrives!

Pat

ArchangelDM

If my eyes arent playing tricks I would say thats a castle that has had the turrets and feet removed.

I take it you dont have it in hand?

Sure want to see close ups of the insignia on the steel pot.

No problem

As soon as Its here Ill post more, thanks for the input

ArchangelDM

I was watching this helmet hoping to bid; that NCO bar on the back of the shell is what had me interested.

My guess is that it's a double issued helmet; quite common as I've owned fixed bails with 2-3 laundry numbers in them.

Post pics once it arrives!

Pat

Hey Pat

Sure will and I agree with you that its a 2 soldier helmet