M1 helmet which period?

Mango

I bought this helmet some days ago and I'd like to know which period the shell is from? I can't tell if it's cork or sand and I've been trying to compare pictures immensely but just can't decide :lol:

Who would wear an 'Instructor' liner like this and what is the white text inside of the liner?

Also what is the white'ish stuff on the shell? I've seen it on many helmets but never read what is is

This helmet is also uploaded on WAF

post-253377-0-75218800-1584212846.jpg

post-253377-0-03478000-1584212852.jpg

post-253377-0-26229900-1584212858.jpg

post-253377-0-89010800-1584212862.jpg

post-253377-0-34012100-1584212868.jpg

post-253377-0-01622600-1584212875.jpg

post-253377-0-89071300-1584212882.jpg

Rear seam swivel bail with black clip attached straps is at a minimum 1960 in that configuration. Liner (P64 model introduced in 1964) looks like a USAF instructor to me.

Looks more like a sand finish to me from the pictures. Usually the sand particles are closer together than the cork finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me it is a rear seam swivel bail and the finish looks like cork. Without pulling up some research data the profile looks like a Schlueter. Does it have a heat stamp with a S?

I have looked all over the helmet, even on the outside, and found a heat stamp on the rim that says F M (also very faintly stamped next to it on the right side). There might be a very faint 60 or 80 near the seam but it's in the wear from the liner and it's very hard to make out and it might not even be actual numbers. I've searched the forum for Schlueter helmets and found a mentioning of these having round welt marks on the rim and this one has that.

EDIT: FM is Fabricaciones Militares and is an Argentinian helmet shell?

post-253377-0-18726400-1584254723.jpg

post-253377-0-78912600-1584254756.jpg

I've posted this simple test before to tell if cork or sand. Use your finger nail or knife blade, to push in on a large gain. if it's cork, it pushes in a bit, if not, it's sand. Ray

Definitely not US made with three chinstrap loops. I think that was used by the Israelis.

I just saw that rear one, my prior statement does not apply to foreign helmets!

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

That is not a chinstrap loop attached to the shell, it is the nape strap loop from the liner.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, what a mashup! That looks like an Argentine helmet to me, and it has a liner from Australia of all places. You can tell because Australia used white stamped markings when making them. Other than that, they are very similar to Vietnam era American liners.

Wow, what a mashup! That looks like an Argentine helmet to me, and it has a liner from Australia of all places. You can tell because Australia used white stamped markings when making them. Other than that, they are very similar to Vietnam era American liners.

I think you might just be right. I'm also quite certain that the shell is from Argentina. Didn't know about the liner markings made it Australian but it explains the English writing as I assume it would be in Spanish if it was used in Argentina. Oh well I took a chance and learned something new ^_^

The Rooster

Happens. I bought a helmet and liner and the liner was belgium. Didnt see the ghost of the little belgium flag til after I got it. If you got it on ebay you can return it. If the seller listed it as ww2 us helmet and liner then you can point out that it does not match description. Even if they dont take returns. If it is not as described ebay will get you a refund.

Bought it from a local guy who advertised it as a military helmet for $30 so I doubt the seller knew anything about it. Now I have an example to compare with!