DUI ID?

cseats

This is my grandfather. Portrait photo taken most likely in October-November 1940 at Ft. McDowell, on his way to Corregidor. He wound up being assigned to B Battery, 59th CAC.

I know the DUI on his service hat is not the 59th. Does anyone recognize it, or is it simply from the imagination of whoever colored the photo 80 years ago?

Thanks,

Corey

post-287982-0-32707900-1583273182_thumb.jpeg

Ft. McDowell was the Overseas Discharger and Replacement Center in 1940 (and other years prior to that year and during the war. It did not have any CA or AAA units stationed there at the time. Have been thru my references, and that sure looks like a 59th CA Regt DI, with an "artist's" interpretation to boot.

post-622-0-02805300-1583291166.jpg

Thank you very much for the info (and expert opinion). As you can imagine, we have VERY little of my grandfather's wartime things--I'm sure everything he had was left for the Japanese on May 6, 1942. I do have his footlocker (not sure how/when it made its way to the US), and would like to display a campaign hat with the correct DUI on top of it.

Thank you again,

Corey

Ft. McDowell was the Overseas Discharger and Replacement Center in 1940 (and other years prior to that year and during the war. It did not have any CA or AAA units stationed there at the time. Have been thru my references, and that sure looks like a 59th CA Regt DI, with an "artist's" interpretation to boot.

+1 Tred. Betting he was in the 59th CA and this is either a period rendition when photo was colorized knowing he was in the unit, or a post war rendition if it was colorized then.