Modern Day Minutemen Patch (Navy North Island) - ID Request

Old Crow 1986

Old Crow 1986

I'm stumped by this one and I'm looking for help from my USN/Friends of USN brothers and sisters.

BACKSTORY - I was drawn to an estate sale by the picture of what LOOKED like a patch collection. There were 4 of these framed displays, each loaded with different emblems.

post-288817-0-61905900-1583209192_thumb.jpg

Turns out the estate belonged to a government civilian who was a graphic artist by trade and worked in the Media and Art department/section at NAS North Island for several years beginning in the late 40s-early 50s. The 4 framed patch displays were actually hand painted miniatures of NAS North Island squadron patches. Each emblem was quite the work of art. Taken together there were probably close to 50 mini paintings in the 4 frames.

I lost out on the framed displays, but I did manage to rescue this painted sketch of the "Modern Day Minutemen" squadron. A bit of investigation leads me to believe that the "Modern Day Minutemen" were a VP (Patrol) squadron.

post-288817-0-87835700-1583210022_thumb.jpg

The only notation on the painted sketch is " World War II original sketch - squadron decal"

I'm guessing that if the squadron is still active, its patch has gone though nearly 70 years of evolution and probably doesn't look anything like the above.

I'm hoping somebody has the skills and the memory to reach back to NAS North Island circa 1951 and give the "Modern Day Minutemen" a proper name.

Hi, its a nice display and very interessting. The Modern Minutemen emblem is a CVG-101/Carrier Air Group 101 patch from Korean War. This Air Group was onbard the USS Boxer CV-21 in 1951 and USS Kearsarge CV-33 in 1952-53 and was redestignated CVG-14 on 4. Febr. 1953.

Old Crow 1986

Hi, its a nice display and very interessting. The Modern Minutemen emblem is a CVG-101/Carrier Air Group 101 patch from Korean War. This Air Group was onbard the USS Boxer CV-21 in 1951 and USS Kearsarge CV-33 in 1952-53 and was redestignated CVG-14 on 4. Febr. 1953.

Thanks for the insight Franky. The dates certainly align with the other elements of the estate collection. I've been sleuthing 30 minutes here, 15 minutes there for a month trying to ID the unit. Figured someone in the forum would take all of 10 seconds to figure out the puzzle.

Old Crow 1986

Here's the estate sale post that drew me in. Looks like a heck of a patch collection, right?

post-288817-0-66101100-1583296401_thumb.jpg

Got to the sale early but not early enough. They were sold by the time I found the room. That was within the first 5 minutes of the sale.

Old Crow 1986

Set #4 (my picture, sorry for the poor quality but I was weeping tears of regret at this point and could not focus)

post-288817-0-73041800-1583297221_thumb.jpg

Wow! Beautiful! Thanks for posting them. They sure look like decals. That guy was definitely talented. I wonder if he had something to do with the designs of some of those insignia. Pretty cool. Jeffro