A favor to ask the community!

JimMooney

A favor to ask the community

Reaching out in the hope that someone may help with a request. Admins if my posts breaks any rules feel free to remove thanks.

So I'm coming out of the end of treatment for head and neck cancer which I had initially diagnosed in early last summer. Good news is I've responded well and they caught it very early so I'm expected to make a full recovery. Its giving me a real kick in the rump and I'm really feeling the fact that I haven't done enough with my youngest son 11, with work and everything else going on in life I've been promising him the same level of camping and fishing trips I had with my Dad at his age and I just haven't pulled the finger out... but thats all going to change this summer.

So where do you guys come in..well the boy is US military mad and given that I've served in the Army here in Ireland I can totally understand where hes gotten it from :) I've a real passion for US military history too.

He's been diagnosed with high functioning autism (Aspergers) and is utterly obsessed with US the military. If I was to pick one it would be the Marines ( in fact he'd rather visit Parris island than Disney).

So here's the favor.. I'm looking to give him the full outdoor experience and plan camping/ fishing trips with him when better... was looking to get hold of some (1 set or two if possible)sleeping bags(cold weather its often cold and wet in Ireland brr), mats, bivvy bag and ponchos actually some ration packs if going too.. or anything you can think of to give him the full army experience. I've been out sick since October of last year so if I could work out a way to pay in installments or some other way I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Too add if you ever need a contact in Ireland to show you around, I'd be more than willing to return the favor and or help.

Hi Jim,

I'm afraid I'm not much help with the gear your looking for, but mainly just wanted to say I think it's really great what your planning with your son. Also glad to hear your making full recovery from the cancer diagnosis. Do you guys have any military surplus shops over there like we do here in the US? If so, if I were you I'd see what you can get for gear there. It will be more authentic than what you could find at a sporting goods store and probably much cheaper as well. Anyway, good luck and keep us all posted

Hi Jim,

I'm afraid I'm not much help with the gear your looking for, but mainly just wanted to say I think it's really great what your planning with your son. Also glad to hear your making full recovery from the cancer diagnosis. Do you guys have any military surplus shops over there like we do here in the US? If so, if I were you I'd see what you can get for gear there. It will be more authentic than what you could find at a sporting goods store and probably much cheaper as well. Anyway, good luck and keep us all posted

Thanks Jason.. at 43 its been a real wake up call and I feel like I've let Ben down.... so things are going to change for sure. We did have a lot of Military surplus stores here but most if not all are gone and have become full on commercial camping stores with crazy prices to boot. The ones that exist offer only older eastern European stuff so the quality ain't great. I know this was a long shot but I was hoping a QM may be able to help. I appreaciate the reply and good wishes, thanks!

Best of luck on your recovery, and the prognosis sounds very good.

As it relates to gear, the cost to ship from the US to Ireland would likely far exceed the cost of the gear itself.

I just asked a buddy from Dublin, and he recommended Argos. I checked their website, and their stuff is dirt cheap. Two-man dome tents for £19.99, and nice sleeping bags for £6.50.

Best of luck on your recovery, and the prognosis sounds very good.

As it relates to gear, the cost to ship from the US to Ireland would likely far exceed the cost of the gear itself.

I just asked a buddy from Dublin, and he recommended Argos. I checked their website, and their stuff is dirt cheap. Two-man dome tents for £19.99, and nice sleeping bags for £6.50.

Thanks for the reply. Argos wouldn't be my first place to shop tbh, its a cheap outlet with low end knock off gear. I was hoping to source some of the good quality US gear mainly for its quality but mostly because of my son and his interest in the US military. I've tried to lean him towards a closer alternative (British Kit) but as any parent with a child with autism will tell you, thats been a hard push. I wont need the items till mid summer so i was hoping I could pay it over the coming months till its needed or until I'm back in work full time. Its all just in the planning stage right now but its giving me something positive to focus on.