7 replies to this topic

#1 MT247

MT247
  • Members
    • Member ID: 157,549
  • 748 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:39 AM

Hi all,

I have access to a large CNC machine that generally cuts wood, a 3D printer and a laser engraver. I wanted to get your ideas on what I could make for display purposes of things like helmets weapons, medals, uniforms etc. I was thinking of starting with custom engraved or laser engraved bases for helmet mounts. What are you thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Captainofthe7th

Captainofthe7th
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,190
  • 4,372 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:15 AM

Hi Kyle - try a two sided display for engraved medals.  I started this while ago and never revisited.  I was hanging the medal from a clear 3d printed piece and this was held between two pieces of acrylic, one side of which the clear piece slid into.

http://www.usmilitar...ved-medals-wip/

It was a great application of the laser cutter.  Having the CNC for a wood frame would be great.  You're welcome to my STL file for the hangar if you're interested.

You have like, the holy trinity of technology to make anything you want.  

I think engraved pieces have opportunity, especially if you have a wood stand and cut a slot to inlay an etched piece.  Also try painting clear acrylic and engraving a mirror image from behind to get a super clean look on the front side.

Rob

#3 MT247

MT247
  • Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:36 PM

Hi Kyle - try a two sided display for engraved medals.  I started this while ago and never revisited.  I was hanging the medal from a clear 3d printed piece and this was held between two pieces of acrylic, one side of which the clear piece slid into.

http://www.usmilitar...ved-medals-wip/

It was a great application of the laser cutter.  Having the CNC for a wood frame would be great.  You're welcome to my STL file for the hangar if you're interested.

You have like, the holy trinity of technology to make anything you want.  

I think engraved pieces have opportunity, especially if you have a wood stand and cut a slot to inlay an etched piece.  Also try painting clear acrylic and engraving a mirror image from behind to get a super clean look on the front side.

Rob

Hey thanks for the idea, I think I could run the STL file on the cnc and make something like this out of wood with a 3-D engraved image on top.

#4 917601

• Members
    • Member ID: 180,924
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:07 PM

Hi all,

I have access to a large CNC machine that generally cuts wood, a 3D printer and a laser engraver. I wanted to get your ideas on what I could make for display purposes of things like helmets weapons, medals, uniforms etc. I was thinking of starting with custom engraved or laser engraved bases for helmet mounts. What are you thoughts?

I would have use for a nicely carved 82nd Airborne patch or Jump wings , about 3 feet long...

#5 Woodymyster

Woodymyster
  • Members
    • Member ID: 153,936
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:03 PM

You could create a a custom display rack for medals and insignia per vet which is French cut for every individual piece.  Finish it off with the name of the soldier and rank engraved into the board.

#6 MT247

MT247
  • Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:02 AM

I would have use for a nicely carved 82nd Airborne patch or Jump wings , about 3 feet long...

That’s funny I was just thinking about that last night. I made some 3d angel wings that I thought I could use as a base to create a file for some jump wings. I’ll see what I can do

#7 MT247

MT247
  • Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:03 AM

You could create a a custom display rack for medals and insignia per vet which is French cut for every individual piece.  Finish it off with the name of the soldier and rank engraved into the board.

Thanks for the ideas, I may try this with a group I have. If I do I will post some pictures. Thanks

#8 MT247

MT247
  • Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:09 AM

Posted Image

Here are the wings I think I could use as a base for jump wings. These are annoy 2 1/2 feet long

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users