Officer's AEF Service Uniform. 42nd Div. 166th Ambulance Co., Capt. J. Drake

Just got in a copy of the "Roster Rainbow Division" (dated 1917) and found Drake's entry in the 166th Ambulance (First Tennessee) Company...

DrakeRoster.jpg

Just got in a copy of the "Roster Rainbow Division" (dated 1917) and found Drake's entry in the 166th Ambulance (First Tennessee) Company...

Thanks sooooooo much Dave! This just got copied printed and added to the Bio, this is much appreciated! twothumbup.gif

Thanks!!! That is one super grouping and the patch is very, very nice. I really enjoy seeing all the variations of the 42nd Division SSI.

To me, the 42nd Division patch looks to be something made by a tailor out of three different types of fabric. Seeing that patches are not my forte, was this type of fabricated patch a common practice with tailored officers uniforms?

Much like a killer sunset, nothing beats seeing it in person. Guess thats the real beauty of owning something like this.

John w00t.gif

Very true, you've been to my place and have seen this one in person so you know that pictures do not do this uniform justice. ;)

Here's a nice shot of the shoulder patch, which was GORGEOUS in my opinion (slightly biased!) Anyway, I had to edit it in paint, so it's not as nice as it could be, but I thought it was a nice shot to add to the thread. thumbsup.gif

DrakePatch.JPG

To me, the 42nd Division patch looks to be something made by a tailor out of three different types of fabric. Seeing that patches are not my forte, was this type of fabricated patch a common practice with tailored officers uniforms?

Very true, you've been to my place and have seen this one in person so you know that pictures do not do this uniform justice. ;)

Multi-construction paches are very typical for the WWI era. That's what makes them so interesting. Since officers were required to purchase their own uniforms they were pretty much all tailor made and anyone with a sewing machine could make a patch, so the patches weren't necessarily made by the same tailor who made the uniform, infact probably weren't. Unfortunately, the handmade look of WWI patches make them vulnerable to fakers since anyone with a sewing machine and some old material can make one. That's why your group is so nice. You can sleep at night knowing its 100% original coolness!

Mark

Multi-construction paches are very typical for the WWI era. That's what makes them so interesting. Since officers were required to purchase their own uniforms they were pretty much all tailor made and anyone with a sewing machine could make a patch, so the patches weren't necessarily made by the same tailor who made the uniform, infact probably weren't. Unfortunately, the handmade look of WWI patches make them vulnerable to fakers since anyone with a sewing machine and some old material can make one. That's why your group is so nice. You can sleep at night knowing its 100% original coolness!

Mark

Thanks Mark, I've just learned something more to stuff in the old war closet. thumbsup.gif

Here's a something I found while doing some research on Captain(Doctor) Drake. It's a picture of the U.S.S. President Grant, the ship that brought Drake into England from the United States. I know it has nothing to do with the history of the uniform but, it sure has something to do with the history of the man.

i04241.jpg

Here's a picture of the boot manufacturer. Under that name is a series of numbers that are hand written. Does anyone here have an idea as to what these might mean? I know, a shot in the dark but, maybe someone here really knows. The numbers are: D18169, since I don't have Capt. Drakes serial number, could this be it?

The boot is stamped:

HARRY SCHUTTE

HETTLETON

SYRACUSE N.Y. USA

Is Harry Shutte the boot maker and Hettleton the company he worked for?

John_Drake.jpg

If you give it to me you'll have a new friend! HAHA. I love seeing the old WW1 stuff. I don't see how as many of them made it back as they did. My hat goes off to those poor guys. Great uniform too!

thumbsup.gif Hats off to forum member pmccombs who was able to find a little more information for me. He was able to track Dr. Drake to Kentucky where he died at the age of 80 on December 14th, 1966 at Kenton, KY outside of Covington.

Thanks Stephan, your recent WWI 89th ID uniform grouping that you posted isn't too bad either! ;)

Here's a picture I found while researching Dr. Drake. It references the 166th in the caption but, it didn't say if the ambulance was from that unit or not but, I thought it was a good possibility and besides, it looked neat.

c.jpg

thumbsup.gif Hats off to forum member pmccombs who was able to find a little more information for me. He was able to track Dr. Drake to Kentucky where he died at the age of 80 on December 14th, 1966 at Kenton, KY outside of Covington.

Isn't there a large military show near Covington? Maybe one of the members is near enough to get a photo of the grave? think.gif

• 4 years later...
Patchcollector

Just came upon this thread.That is QUITE a group,an outstanding,fresh looking uniform and that patch is awesome! :o

Great Uniform did you ever get a picture of the grave? You may want to go to find a grave I have had some good luck in the last year or so.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Just came upon this thread.That is QUITE a group,an outstanding,fresh looking uniform and that patch is awesome! :o

Thanks, I love this uniform, it's so well provenanced but, if only I could get a photo of him.

Great Uniform did you ever get a picture of the grave? You may want to go to find a grave I have had some good luck in the last year or so.

John

Thanks John, I went to find-a-grave and found 5 John Drakes born in 1886 but, none of them were my man. :(

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Razorback13

I’d like to take the time to tell all who have followed this post that, thanks to Scott (Bugme) and Mike (Navybean), Dr. Drake’s uniform grouping is back with his family!

My father-in-law is Dr. Drake’s oldest grandson. After the war, Dr. Drake continued a medical practice in Memphis and died at the early age of 56. My father-in-law has long had many of his grandfather’s service items, except for the uniform.

A few weeks ago, we stumbled upon this post, and he recognized this uniform as indeed being his grandfather’s. After a little research, we were able to make contact with Scott. He was most gracious with his time and talked several times on the phone with me. Ironically, he had actually sold this grouping 3 or 4 months ago, after having it for about 10 years. He was able to get in touch with Mike (the new owner), who wonderfully agreed to reunite it with the family.Most amazing of all, we were able to get this home this past week, and gave it to my father-in-law over the weekend for his birthday. Needless to say, he was completely surprised! Now, all of Dr. Drake’s items, from letters, to footlocker, to books, to uniform, are back together and in the family. We treasure these items and the memories associated with them.

Scott and Mike, we can’t thank you guys enough for the help!

To tie it all together, here are a few items that the family has: a photo of Dr. Drake in this uniform (which I colorized)post-167987-0-91227400-1494255047_thumb.jpg

Razorback13

a photo of the 117th Sanitary Train officers (he’s forefront, far right)

post-167987-0-35964600-1494255171_thumb.jpg

So glad that this story has such an incredible happy end to it!