Officer's AEF Service Uniform. 42nd Div. 166th Ambulance Co., Capt. J. Drake

I've been meaning to post this for some time and finally had some time. Hope you all like this uniform grouping.

This is the uniform of Captain John Drake who was the commander of the 166th Ambulance Company of the 42nd Infantry Division. I acquired this uniform grouping from another USMF member late last year and what a great acquisition it’s been!

John Drake was born on October 16th, 1886 in the state of Kentucky. Previous to the First World War, John went to Medical School and became a Doctor. As America entered the war in April of 1917, there was a great need of doctors who would be able to treat the expected casualties. At that time that he was called to serve his country, Dr. Drake lived at 755 Manassas St. in Memphis , Tennessee.

He was a 1st Lieutenant with the 166th Ambulance Company, which was one of four Ambulance Companies within the 117th Sanitary Train of the famous 42nd Division. The 166th sailed aboard the USS President Grant on October 18th 1917. 1st Lt. Drake was among 5 officers and 138 enlisted men that sailed that day for Liverpool, England.

After a short stay in England, the 166th Ambulance Company was moved to Le Harve, France. During the later part of February and early March 1918, the 42nd was on the front lines in the Lorraine Sector. 1st Lt. Drake would see his first actions on the line during this time.

Later in December of 1918, the 42nd Division moved into Germany on occupation duty and on December 23rd 1918, 1st Lt. Drake was promoted to Captain. From April 9th through May 1st of that year the element of the 42nd sailed from France back to the United States.

After his return to the states Captain Drake was demobilized and returned to his wife Mildred, his young son John Jr., his daughter Charlotte and his civilian medical practice. He had another son by the name of James in 1926. He later moved to 1911 Lyndale Street in Memphis. As of the 1930 Census, Dr. John Drake was still practicing medicine.

The uniform was complete with two pairs of trousers, leather boots, Sam Browne belt and Garrison cap. Upon inspection of this uniform, I was able to see pin holes from where a ribbon had at one time been. My research found that the only ribbon he may have had on there would have been a Victory ribbon. I have installed the period ribbon that now sits on this uniform.

Captain_John_Drake_MD_001.jpg

Captain_John_Drake_MD_018.jpg

twothumbup.gif

Great officers uniform,rare in itself let alone to be the commanders uniform.Pretty obscure unit of the 42nd in my opinion.

RON

Hey! He might be a Hoosier! At least a post-war version. :lol:

http://freepages.military.rootsweb.ancestr...tain_Drake.html

That link looks exactly like the research that came with the uniform. I wonder if it was posted by the owner before the one I bought it from? (The guy I bought it from didn't do the research on it.)

Dave

IMPERIAL QUEST

Scott,

This is just fabulous. You once told me that I would get into uniform collecting...I couldn't see it at the time, but I can DEFINITELY understand the driving force behind collecting these. Uniforms are the literal embodiment of what we seek in collecting. It doesn't get much better than having the tunic in which the veteran actually wore in theater...geeeeessssshhh, awesome!

EDIT: Did I mention that this is fabulous??

VERY NICE!!!!! I'v got my great cousin's 42nd Div uniform and some other stuff. He was in the 166th Inf. I've got his copy of "Ohio in the Rainbow" also with the unit lists..Mine has the full rainbow pattern patch.. Wonderful piece.

Fins.

THANKS FOR ALL THE COMMENTS & COMPLIMENTS!!!

Great officers uniform,rare in itself let alone to be the commanders uniform.Pretty obscure unit of the 42nd in my opinion.

RON

Thanks Ron! This uniform fit with one of my focus areas of collecting, military medical. Being that it was a commanders uniform only iced the cake for me.

Hey! He might be a Hoosier! At least a post-war version. :lol:

http://freepages.military.rootsweb.ancestr...tain_Drake.html

Thanks for the link Erick! The bio that I shared at the top of this thread came with the uniform when I purchased it from forum member: Dave. I didn't realize it was on-line until now! Wow!

Sharp looking uniform for sure with great boots!

Really like medical corps id'ed uniforms

Good one

DJ

The boots are even better than the picture suggests. they are not brittle or cracked in anyway. Perfectly preserved as though they were worn last week!

BEAUTIFUL! I'm glad to see it ended up in a good home (I know it did, but it was nice to see the post!) thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Dave

Thanks Dave! Believe me, it found a good home. I've had this displayed in several public showings and it always attracts a lot of attention. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to rip it out of your hands. ;)

Fantastic Grouping! I love the research you've done and man those boots are killer! Have you found out where he was buried?

Thanks Tom! So far I haven't been able to find Dr, Drakes burial place. Not even even on findagrave.com dunno.gif

Scott,

This is just fabulous. You once told me that I would get into uniform collecting...I couldn't see it at the time, but I can DEFINITELY understand the driving force behind collecting these. Uniforms are the literal embodiment of what we seek in collecting. It doesn't get much better than having the tunic in which the veteran actually wore in theater...geeeeessssshhh, awesome!

EDIT: Did I mention that this is fabulous??

Steve, I never thought I'd ever get into uniforms myself but... here I am, 12 uniforms with 8 of them on mannequins and quickly running out of room... I LOVE IT!!!

Thanks also for the compliment but, there is a certain other WWI Aero uniform grouping that you have up on the forum right now that makes this one pale in comparison. thumbsup.gif

VERY NICE!!!!! I'v got my great cousin's 42nd Div uniform and some other stuff. He was in the 166th Inf. I've got his copy of "Ohio in the Rainbow" also with the unit lists..Mine has the full rainbow pattern patch.. Wonderful piece.

Fins.

That is really neat! Do you find anything on your unit list showing Dr. Drake? If so, is there any information in it that I haven't got listed?

Just beautiful work on the Captain bar - would it be hallmarked? s/f Darrell

They really are ornate aren't they? However, after careful searching, even with a magnifying glass, I can say that there is no hallmarks on either the shoulder or garrison cap bars.

Just for you Mark...

Thanks!!! That is one super grouping and the patch is very, very nice. I really enjoy seeing all the variations of the 42nd Division SSI.

Much like a killer sunset, nothing beats seeing it in person. Guess thats the real beauty of owning something like this.

John w00t.gif