Dewey Medal opinions Please

Wade16

Nice Dewey. That pin should be an easy fix, since only the pin is broken, the hinge mechanism appears intact. $2200 seems to be the current ebay price point for the last 4 or 5 that have come up the past year. Quite a bargain over what they were going for regularly even 5 or 6 years ago, and considering I believe there were only 1751 of them awarded by special Act of Congress. Imagine how much a US Mint Silver Dollar would sell for if only 1751 were minted 120 years ago? Bizarre. Frankly, I'll take the named Dewey, for a small fraction of the price of the similarly scarce Morgan Dollar every day of the week and on Sunday. Correct me on that 1751 figure if I'm wrong.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1898-Commodore-George-Dewey-The-Victory-of-Manila-Medal-/392682996116?hash=item5b6dbb0194%3Ag%3A4BQAAOSw%7EOFeRCvn&nma=true&si=UHuFvUDvnQJhC%252FZJGchVaAqBTAE%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

post-18406-0-81481000-1582215581.png

Nice Dewey. That pin should be an easy fix, since only the pin is broken, the hinge mechanism appears intact. $2200 seems to be the current ebay price point for the last 4 or 5 that have come up the past year. Quite a bargain over what they were going for regularly even 5 or 6 years ago, and considering I believe there were only 1751 of them awarded by special Act of Congress. Imagine how much a US Mint Silver Dollar would sell for if only 1751 were minted 120 years ago? Bizarre. Frankly, I'll take the named Dewey, for a small fraction of the price of the similarly scarce Morgan Dollar every day of the week and on Sunday. Correct me on that 1751 figure if I'm wrong.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1898-Commodore-George-Dewey-The-Victory-of-Manila-Medal-/392682996116?hash=item5b6dbb0194%3Ag%3A4BQAAOSw%7EOFeRCvn&nma=true&si=UHuFvUDvnQJhC%252FZJGchVaAqBTAE%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

A minor correction to number issued- it was 1,825. I believe condition plays into the hammer price- this one went for a very fair price considering it had traces of the original ribbon and a broken pin. One that recently showed as a BIN without a box was in great shape and sold for $3250.

A minor correction to number issued- it was 1,825. I believe condition plays into the hammer price- this one went for a very fair price considering it had traces of the original ribbon and a broken pin. One that recently showed as a BIN without a box was in great shape and sold for $3250.

Hey, thanks for providing the correct figure on total run of Dewey's. Do you happen to have a source for that number- I've been looking but couldn't find one. Was that $3250 sale, I think a USS Baltimore that Adam sold a while back?

Hey, thanks for providing the correct figure on total run of Dewey's. Do you happen to have a source for that number- I've been looking but couldn't find one. Was that $3250 sale, I think a USS Baltimore that Adam sold a while back?

No problem! I got that number from The Call of Duty. I also believe that is the Dewey in question.

aerialbridge,

How would I go about repairing the back pin?

Unless you plan to wear it, what purpose would repairing the pin serve? Better to have half an original pin than all of a replacement.

Were it mine, I would keep it just the way it is.

aerialbridge,

How would I go about repairing the back pin?

Wade, I believe you're talking about the broken pin from the Dewey ebay auction you posted, right? I wouldn't try fixing it myself, but if you have a professional, competent jeweler in your area who can do repairs it would be an easy fix. You have the pin hinge and they would just have to remove the existing short, broken steel pin and then put a new steel pin in the socket where the old one was. Here's a picture of the broken pin and a complete pin assembly from one of my treasured Dewey's. If it were mine, I would fix that pin in a heartbeat. I have one that is missing the hinged pin assembly where a new steel one will have to be fabricated and I am going to have it done. The nice thing about a Dewey is that it can be hung for display without any strain on a drape since it's the only US medal where a heavy chain holds it to the brooch, not a drape. If you fix it, I'd be interested to see it afterwards.

post-18406-0-45669000-1582793218_thumb.jpg

Unless you plan to wear it, what purpose would repairing the pin serve? Better to have half an original pin than all of a replacement.

Were it mine, I would keep it just the way it is.

Times two.

Wharf

At the end of the day, or even the beginning, it's your choice, to fix or not to fix. Rest assured there is no 11th Commandment governing your choice on this one, only differing opinions of others. Like in most of life. Now if you were going to clean the medal to make it all shiny, that might be a different story. :o

post-18406-0-30723500-1582907247.jpg