USN/USMC Ribbon Rack w/Overseas Service Ribbon

Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Everyone,

While cleaning out my cabinets I came across these racks that I've had for 20 years or more.

A mix of USN & USMC service with many devices, including the Navy/Marine Overseas Service Ribbon.

I 010909 d.jpg

Salvage Sailor

I believe the Overseas Service Ribbon was used prior to the sea service ribbon being authorized, his service was most likely in the 1960-1980 period

Salvage Sailor

Rereading the info on different sites, (which is a bit contradictory) but I think this is the criteria for this rack and you're on the right track Hink. This one was authorized in 1986 vs. 1980 for the Sea Service Ribbon

He was probably not a fleet sailor (so no sea service ribbon for those eight years) and the award is retroactive to cover the Vietnam era.

The Navy and Marine Corps Overseas Service Ribbon was authorized by the order of the Secretary of the Navy on September 17, 1986. The Navy and Marine Corps OSR is awarded to active duty members of the United States Navy and United States Marine Corps after 12 months of consecutive or accumulated duty at an overseas shore-based duty station, not to include Alaska and Hawaii except for specific locations. Additionally, it is awarded to members of the United States Navy Reserves and United States Marine Corps Reserves after 30 consecutive days or 45 cumulative days of service at overseas duty stations. For subsequent awards of the Navy and Marine Corps OSR, a bronze service star device is authorized for each award and if awarded more than five, a silver service star is authorized denoting five awards.
Service members of the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps are not issued the Sea Service Deployment Ribbon (SSDR) for the same period of service as they are issued the Navy and Marine Corps OSR.