• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Blackmore

Blackmore
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 286,121
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:22 AM

I found these amongst my Dad's (WWII vet and reserve after that) things? Any ideas? Thanks.

2QceB9H.jpg

Approx 1.25H" x 1.00W"

ZwOCufJ.jpg

OfrmpKN.jpg

Approx 1.25H" x 1.50W"

#2 Tolzer

Tolzer
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,790
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:30 AM

The DUI with the Key is the 49th Infantry Regiment

#3 Allan H.

Allan H.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151
  • 5,880 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:50 AM

The first DUI is that of the 376th Infantry Regiment. Both are WWII era pieces. The 376th Infantry DUI looks like a Newcombe piece made in sterling. The 49th Infantry piece is German made during the occupation.

Allan

Edited by Allan H., 17 February 2020 - 09:50 AM.

#4 Blackmore

Blackmore
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:58 PM

The 376th Regiment makes sense since he was in the 94th Division and that's one of its regiments. Allan H,, it indeed has a Newcombe hallmark which I missed. 

A little more research with the 49th Regiment lead revealed that German made DUI was for the 49th Armored Infantry Battalion. Dad must have been seconded to that unit. Its history mentions occupation duty in western Czechoslovakia. He told me once he had been in Czechoslovakia before being repatriated in early 1946.

Thank you very much, gentlemen. 

#5 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 24,728 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 05:25 PM

49th Armored Infantry Battalion, 8th Armored Division.

Yes indeed, both the 94th Inf Div and the 8th Armd Div were in Czechoslovakia in 45, there is a chance that he was never reassigned to the 8th Armd Div, but merely acquired the DI for the 49th Armd Inf in say a trade.

#6 Reforger

Reforger
  • Members
    • Member ID: 152,976
  • 465 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 12:44 PM

The 49th Infantry crest is super interesting! It was manufactured by Brehmer in Markneukirchen. Markneukirchen is in the east part of Germany on the border to former Czechoslovakia. That means there is only a very very small time frame in which the company could have produced this crest. Following the war the company was nationalized and renamed Präwema. It became the leading manufacturer of medals/badges/insignia for East Germany. This is the first crest I have seen produced by Brehmer.

#7 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 24,728 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 03:31 PM

The 49th Infantry crest is super interesting! It was manufactured by Brehmer in Markneukirchen. Markneukirchen is in the east part of Germany on the border to former Czechoslovakia. That means there is only a very very small time frame in which the company could have produced this crest. Following the war the company was nationalized and renamed Präwema. It became the leading manufacturer of medals/badges/insignia for East Germany. This is the first crest I have seen produced by Brehmer.

Fascinating.

Gustav Brehmer, Markneukirchen

https://www.google.c...iw=1525&bih=709

#8 Blackmore

Blackmore
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 05:54 AM

Thank you all, The above is particularly interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users