RADM Allen Dudley Brown - USS Vincennes CL-64

Airborne-Hunter

Airborne-Hunter

I originally saw the photos of the Bronze Star, Legion of Merit and the Yangtze and decided it worth the goose chase to drive 100 miles each way to make it to an estate sale way out the sticks. Sale opened a little early and I was only one of two there. Everything was in a box almost as if someone had emptied a desk; pens, clips, note pad, ect mixed in with all the medals. What you see is most of the stuff. From my initial search, he appears to USNA Class of 1919, born 1897 and passed in 1980. Started out on the USS Markab and then moved to the USS Vincennes. I am not sure the action yet, but he received the Bronze Star for Valor. Not sure the cause for the Legion of Merit yet. In any case the stuff is out there. Best ABN

post-1800-0-78228200-1581908491_thumb.jpg

Airborne-Hunter

Beautiful set. Any original documents? Bobgee

Just some letters, a few more photos, some name/address stamps for him/wife and a dog tag. No award documents

Nice officer group. Very quick review of the Navy registers appears that he earned both the 2nd Nic and the Yangtze while attached to the transport USS Henderson. The ship was basically a ferry for Navy and Marines (and dependents) cycling in and out of Shanghai from 1927 to 41. For a few weeks in March 27, she qualified for the 2nd Nic. Looks like he was on Henderson starting in 1926. Beautiful full wrap LOM, be interesting to see if it was a valor award, since the Bronze Star ribbon has a V but the LOM ribbon (and medal) don't. The studio portrait of him wearing most of the ribbons you have, including the American Defense with the A is super. Interesting that neither the Bronze Star nor the LOM have V's in the portrait. I've seen where the authorization for the combat V can come after the initial award of the medal. Definitely worth the investment of getting his file in St. Louis scanned to get the full history.