Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1

IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST

A note on the US and aviation props, all are matching, and they all have the same degree of very light green verdigris on the reverse, as well as the contact points on the collar.

Aviation branch insignia. The set is matching and props are marked sterling.

IMPERIAL QUEST

This document could possibly...possibly lead to my finding a Purple Heart Medal one day if he made application for one and it still survives. This is the document awarding Major Wingate the Meritorious Service Certificate July 1, 1919, and therefore (for a brief time) made him eligible for the PH in 1932.

IMPERIAL QUEST

Here is the photo side of the identity card carried in the leather Air Service wallet shown in the post following the ID cards. These are somewhat fragile, so they will remain on display outside of the wallet.

IMPERIAL QUEST

Now on to the photos. In addition to some family shots, there are two that feature General of the Armies Pershing. Here we go...

Clowning around.

IMPERIAL QUEST

A relaxing day at the beach. I always get a kick out of seeing old photos of "beach wear" in the early 20th century, quite different from what you see today. :blush:

IMPERIAL QUEST

"On leave" with a buddy. Probably scouring the French countryside for a beautiful girl and a fine bottle of wine...sorry, I said I wasn't going to get all sappy.

IMPERIAL QUEST

This one is a bit of a mystery...for now. I had initially thought that perhaps the Major was recalled during WWII...but the text in the documents above would not leave much room for that possibility. I have located a Harry L. Wingate Jr. on Findagrave.com that lists him as a WWII veteran, I'll have to follow this lead. Flying must have been in the blood.

IMPERIAL QUEST

Now for two REALLY cool photos. I am not sure, but the fellow facing Pershing might be Wingate, he and Pershing were about the same size I believe. Notice how deep the mud is on the field, but that doesn't seem to bother the General too much.