Government cutting funds for "Stars and Stripes" Hard to believe

themick

The Start and Strips has been around since WWII, and the current administration has decided to no longer fund it.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-budget-zeroes-out-funding-for-stars-and-stripes-the-militarys-newspaper-191802421.html

According to the article, the Stars and Stripes relies on our government for half of its funding. So much for traditions.

Steve

It's just a budget proposal. They can propose whatever they want, doesnt mean it will get passed. $15 million out of $700+ billion though is a drop in the bucket. I'm sure the decision had more to do than just wanting to save the money or put it to something else. They are trying to copy some of the WW2 era uniforms now, so why not keep it.

Id like to point out that Yahoo news is heavily slanted against President Trump and extremely pro DNC. And the author of the article you mention... David Knowles has written hit piece after hit piece putting President Trump in the worst light possible.

And a buget proposal does not a law make.

Ive hardly ever read stars and stripes even when I was in.

Not sure how vital it is?

S&S was absolutely crucial to keeping me informed during my eight years overseas, especially when deployed. Though I hate this proposal, I also know that any/all news sources are readily available now online, so maybe keeping a print newspaper that has to be physically distributed to dispersed garrisons has probably lived beyond its reasonable lifespan. This might drive S&S into the digital age and transform it to become more relevant for newer generations of servicemembers.

This has been reported by many different news agencies. The government funds 35% of the Stars and Stripes not 50%. As 12A54 said, the younger generation reads everything online now. Every newspaper, magazine, book etc is having to transform to fit our changing world.

..Kat

The shock for me is learning that Stars & Stripes is still being published - I thought it had been gone for decades. With the overall decline/death of newspapers it is not surprising that Stars & Stripes faces the same problems as other newspapers. 7 years ago - during a previous White House administration, this was written:

In October (2013), Stars and Stripes publisher Max Lederer announced major cost-saving measures at the paper. Seventeen percent of the workforce, some 40 positions, will be cut in 2014, bringing the editorial department down to 89 full-time staffers and for all departments down to 425 staffers worldwide. The printing schedule will be reduced from seven to five days a week, eliminated in some countries, and the size of the paper will drop to 32 pages from an average of 40. There will be less use of wire services, no pay raises, and cutbacks in staff travel. The belt-tightening moves come as the paper’s federal funding - about 30 percent of its total budget - is expected to fall to $7.7 million next year from about $13 million in 2010 as the entire Defense Department is pinched by sequestration.

death of newspapers

I am with Bob - surprised there is still a printed version.

I believe you can stop circulating a physical copy of it, without diminishing its historical relevance one iota.

Making investment decisions on nostalgia is almost always going to be a bad idea. :)