WW2 N.S. Meyer Service Pilot Wing

The Rooster

Cool! Can you provide a full picture of the back?

Hi Tesla. Thanks Man !

I dont have it in yet but I'l post some good shots of it when it arrives.

If this has a large incised sterling mark and a180-degree opening pin I would say it is a re-strike not a WWII original. If it has the really small incised sterling mark and a pin that only opens about 60-degrees then it could be WWII-vintage. The Meyer hallmark looks pretty weak on this one.

This wing doesn't bother me either. The pin will not flop 180 degrees. As an aside, there are Meyer fakes out there that are made so that the pin doesn't open up 180 degrees. You have to look at other details to be able to make a good decision on the authenticity of a Meyer wing.

Allan

This wing doesn't bother me either. The pin will not flop 180 degrees. As an aside, there are Meyer fakes out there that are made so that the pin doesn't open up 180 degrees. You have to look at other details to be able to make a good decision on the authenticity of a Meyer wing.

Allan

Thank you everyone. I bought this wing because Im real confident its not a restrike.

Heres why... The pin has the cam. and the back of the wing is frosted not black and not sanded down to remove the black on the back of restrikes. It also has a nice lip on the back from the die strike. The edges arent sanded down which happens when the black laquer is removed off the restrikes.

I'l need to get it in hand and post better pics but Im feeling good about this one.

Ive seenother genuine ones with the incised sterling font and it looks like the meyer logo is on there backwards which jives with other genuine meyers. I have to get it in hand and will post when it comes in.

And here is the back of my Meyer Glider pilot. All three have the sterling mark in the same general location and the marks are the same size. All three also have the same cammed pin. If your wing has the same pin and same sized sterling mark, I would agree it is a good one. If the pin is different and the sterling mark is much larger, I would question if it was a WWII vintage wing and not a later restrike.

post-96854-0-17193500-1581120232_thumb.jpg

And here is the back of my Meyer Glider pilot. All three have the sterling mark in the same general location and the marks are the same size. All three also have the same cammed pin. If your wing has the same pin and same sized sterling mark, I would agree it is a good one. If the pin is different and the sterling mark is much larger, I would question if it was a WWII vintage wing and not a later restrike.

Thank you Marty,

Heres one I feel confident is a re-strike fake. Its a service wing.

Its for sale on ebay right now.

Its got a lot wrong with it.

The only reason I think the one I posted in my post is real is because its frosted and has the right pin and Ive seen real meyers with the Sterling marked the same way.

There are several diifferent styles for the Sterling mark on authentic ww2 meyers. I'l have to search the forum.

Thats where Ive seen them marked like my service wing.

post-181333-0-69284600-1581132347_thumb.jpg

I'l repost an old post of Bobs on a members Meyer wing from 2016.

There are also anumber of posts on the forum concearning the reversed logo.

But I will post good photos next week.

Thank you Guys.

bschwartz
  • av-5185.jpg?_r=0
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,185
  • 649 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:59 AM

These wings are perfectly fine. Not all Meyer restrikes are marked sterling. You'll find them marked every which way. Meyers are a bit of a minefield and it takes quite a while to learn to spot the reproductions. But have no fears on this one. It rings all the right bells. This is a good a piece. That bead blasted look or "sparkly" as it was described above is actually an excellent sign of a good wing. This one is 100% right. Congrats on finding a nice little piece of history. There are a ton on threads on the forum with a lot of tips to help you identify the good versus the bad Meyers but the best experience is holding or seeing as many originals as you can before wading into buying them. Check out my site, there are a lot of Meyers on there that can be used as reference examples. Note where the hallmarks are, how they are struck, the details of pin and catch, construction, etc. No one thing will tip you off. You kind of have to know the whole picture to make an informed decision. Meyers are actually really nice wings but their prices are held down by the restrikes and they're never going to appreciate like a Blackinton or Luxenberg would but there are plenty of authentic ones out there.

• 2 weeks later...
WWIIinterviews

I'l repost an old post of Bobs on a members Meyer wing from 2016.

There are also anumber of posts on the forum concearning the reversed logo.

But I will post good photos next week.

Thank you Guys.

bschwartz
  • av-5185.jpg?_r=0
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,185
  • 649 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:59 AM

These wings are perfectly fine. Not all Meyer restrikes are marked sterling. You'll find them marked every which way. Meyers are a bit of a minefield and it takes quite a while to learn to spot the reproductions. But have no fears on this one. It rings all the right bells. This is a good a piece. That bead blasted look or "sparkly" as it was described above is actually an excellent sign of a good wing. This one is 100% right. Congrats on finding a nice little piece of history. There are a ton on threads on the forum with a lot of tips to help you identify the good versus the bad Meyers but the best experience is holding or seeing as many originals as you can before wading into buying them. Check out my site, there are a lot of Meyers on there that can be used as reference examples. Note where the hallmarks are, how they are struck, the details of pin and catch, construction, etc. No one thing will tip you off. You kind of have to know the whole picture to make an informed decision. Meyers are actually really nice wings but their prices are held down by the restrikes and they're never going to appreciate like a Blackinton or Luxenberg would but there are plenty of authentic ones out there.

What is your site?

Very nice wing Rooster! When I first started collecting wings I bought one of these and a Liaison restrike because I didn't know what to look for...this one is perfect! Good catch!

Very nice wing Rooster! When I first started collecting wings I bought one of these and a Liaison restrike because I didn't know what to look for...this one is perfect! Good catch!

Thank you Tesla !

I swear that the only reason I never got burned on Meyers wings is from studying all the great posts here on the Forum by the Veteran Wing Collectors on here. This Forum is truely the only place I've found online

that you can learn so much from. Especially about Meyers. Like Bob said, the real ones are out there. This is my first and only Service Pilot Wing. And thank you to all you Veterans who help us rookies learn the ropes.

And the founders and sponsors and members of the US MIlitary Forum.

Priceless!....... Unless you start charging !!! lol

Thank you!~ ! :)

• 2 years later...

From Ebay.

The seller also was selling this fake Meyer Restrike for the exact same price

as the genuine Meyer Service Pilot Wing. The Black Laquer and the pin were the obvious tells .

2 - Copy.jpg

s-l1600 - Copy.jpg