WW2 M1 Helmet with Mystery Marking, American Holster, & Bring Back Holster

Military_Curator

Military_Curator

Hello all,

I mentioned this grouping in the helmets section of the forum but the items just arrived so I thought I'd showcase them in this section as well. These items came from the estate of Albert Flexman, who passed away in Pennsylvania recently. The only items from his military service was this helmet and the two holsters.

The helmet is a standard M1 Fixed bail Helmet with the chinstrap and liner webbing intact. Most interesting about the helmet is the Firestone liner and the red marking on the front. I have consulted a sizable group of fellow collectors, both on and off the forum, and it is still up in the air about what it means. The current theories are 1st ID insignia, a lieutenant bar, or something pertaining to a mortar detachment.

The two holsters are interesting as well. The first is an American holster for the M1911A1, made by Sears in 1942. The second is a German holster. I am not knowledgeable in terms of Axis firearms and firearm accessories but I have determined, with help from USMF member 36thIDAlex, that it is not for a Walther P-38 but perhaps a smaller run sidearm.

Any questions or input is welcome! Please let me know if you'd like to see any additional images.

Best regards,

Parks

post-243138-0-23264200-1580955464_thumb.jpg

post-243138-0-40777200-1580955470_thumb.jpg

post-243138-0-39189900-1580955477_thumb.jpg

post-243138-0-64691300-1580955484_thumb.jpg

Military_Curator

Nice grouping! If you could supply some images of the German holster , front & back , I might be able to help you with an ID.

Len,

Thank you! I will try and send you some images privately. I appreciate the help!

Best wishes,

Parks

From what pictures have been posted,I think the holster may be for the Browning high power.

My best guess on the holster also is a Browning High Power.

B24AT6 & gomorgan,

Thank you for your opinions! I am not very knowledgeable on holsters or helmets (I am more familiar with uniforms and medals, haha). I really want to say thank you for helping me identify the American holster.

Best wishes,

Parks

Len,

Thank you! I will try and send you some images privately. I appreciate the help!

Best wishes,

Parks

B24AT6 & gomorgan,

Thank you for your opinions! I am not very knowledgeable on holsters or helmets (I am more familiar with uniforms and medals, haha). I really want to say thank you for helping me identify the American holster.

Best wishes,

Parks

Sorry it wasn't clear, you are correct that the American holster is for the 1911. I believe that the German holster is that it was for the Browning Hi Power, which was being built by FN in Belgium at the time of the German occupation and was put into German service.