5th Infantry Regiment in Europe WWII photo album

Vincennes

Saturday at the flea market in Tulsa I acquired a photo album of a Tec Sgt 4 from WW2. It has 183 photos of soldiers and places. All are removable and about 1/3 have captions. From the contents of the photos I have determined he was in the 5th Infantry Regiment, 71st. Division, 3rd. Army in Europe late in the War. Unfortunately he only identifies himself as "Myself" on any of the photos. Other soldiers identified are: Conrad, Cooper (from Oshkoch), Flickinger, Fortney (from Maine), Harbaugh, Hartman (from Kansas), Howard (from Maine), Hughes, Hunter, Jankowski, Moreland, Nell, Seay, Strum, Varney, Vassallo (squad leader), Vonderheid, Wallace, Watsek, and Watson.

If anybody has a roster of the 5th Infantry Regiment of WW2 I would appreciate it if they could look up some of these men. If they are all from the same Company it might help me to identify the Tec 4 owner of my album.

I show 4 photos from the album . #1 is labeled "Myself standing one of our guard post.", #2 is labeled "Himmlers house at Berchtigarden. Kind a wrecked isn't it".

2 more to follow.

Paul

post-2319-0-01947700-1580171999_thumb.jpg

post-2319-0-36329300-1580172024_thumb.jpg

Here are 2 more. #3 is labeled "Crossing the Danube". #4 is labeled "German prisoners that we captured when we crossed the Danube River".

Paul

post-2319-0-61450900-1580172099_thumb.jpg

post-2319-0-62909200-1580172123_thumb.jpg

Salvage Sailor

From the History of Company "C" Fifth Infantry (Regiment) World War II, 71st Infantry Division

At 0700 on the 26th of April the Company crossed the Danube River in assault boats under German 20MM flakfire. Enemy mortars and 88’s opened up as the Company went into position behind a levee about 500 meters north of the river. Many men were wounded by shrapnel and had to be evacuated by the Medics. The Company’s 60MM mortars were put into action behind the levee and succeeded in stopping the enemy mortar fire allowing the Company to advance. We attacked immediately and captured their positions at Altack and Eltheim. Although passing under concentrations of timed fire no more casualties were suffered and the Company was relieved the next day as the 13th Armored Division crossed the river on an Engineer built bridge.

• 2 weeks later...

Salvage Sailor,

Do you have a roster of the 5th Infantry Regiment during WW2? I know they have a web page at https://bobcat.ws/index.html but I have emailed 3 different people from that web page and NO ONE has answered. I even offered to share some photos with them, but no reply.

Paul

Salvage Sailor

Hi Paul,

No I don't, bummer that you're getting no replies from the website.

Aloha

• 2 weeks later...
USCapturephotos

I'm pretty sure the house he identifies as Himmler's is actually Borman's. Thanks for sharing. Any shots of wrecked German armor or aircraft or of GI's holding their war souvenirs? Congrats.

Paul