Named Iraqi Bringbacks

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Obviously all Iraqi items in my collection have to be brought back by soldiers, but these are the few that are named to the soldier that brought them back.

post-153751-0-90792700-1579990379_thumb.jpg

In the back are two sets of standard Iraqi army copies of British Pattern 58 webbing.

Believe it or not the pack on left was originally the same color as the one on the right but has faded considerably, it is still green on the inside. "Sanders" is written on the handle of the pack, and inside the body of the pack was a long strip of white cloth with "SPC Sanders" written on one side, and the other end with wrinkled from having been tired around something, the handle is squeezed in a spot, this may be where it was tied.

The pack on the right has faded in some areas, evidently it sat wrinkled up with the main flap open for a while before being picked up. In the left side pocket of the pack was a piece of oldschool computer paper, the type with holes down both sides, on it was a typed out capture paper form filled out in pen. The form is filled out to a SGT Cecil Wilkinson in the S3 shop of 2nd Bn 16th Infantry.

The listed items are;

1. Iraqi Rucksack, Bedroll Carrier, Pistol Belt, Canteen, Canteen Cup w/Carrier, LBE Suspenders, Buttpack, 2 Ammo Pouches

2. Beret w/Airborne Insignia

3. Dog Tag w/Insignia

4. "Curvat" (perhaps a misspelling of cravat?) w/Protective Mask and Carrier

5. License Plate

6. Cleaning Rod

7. Calendar Book

The space for the unit commanders signature is blank and so is the date, but based on the old computer paper I assume it is from Operation Desert Storm. Unfortunately most of this great group was split up somewhere along the line, the items in bolt are the only ones I got.

In the bottom left is a Yugoslavian M-1 mask bag with Arabic writing on the strap from one owner, and "HM1 Mitchel" from a later owner. Inside was a Romanian M74 mask and a small, cotton hood with unfinished edges on the inside. I think Mitchel was likely attached to a USMC unit rather than in a Navy hospital as I believe this would offer a much greater chance of capturing Iraqi equipment but this is merely speculation.

On the right is a Yugoslavian M-1 mask that has seen better days and has "PFC Alvarenga" written across the left cheek.

It's quite nice to have a piece of the history written directly on the item as the history of the rest my Iraqi collection is lost.