China Horse Marine M-1917 Helmet

kanemono

Here are some examples of the M-1917 helmet as worn by the Mounted Detachment, American Legation, Peiping, China. The front of the helmets are painted with a diamond. Since the photographs are black and white it impossible to tell the color. However, one of the most distinctive China Marines insignia items worn during this period was the winter fur cap with enameled diamonds mounted with an EGA. These diamonds were color coded to correspond to each Marine company assigned to the Peking Legation. These diamonds were color coded to correspond to each Marine company assigned to the Peking Legation and later Tientsin. A white diamond was used to indicate Headquarters Company. Dark Blue was used by A Company. Company B used red and Company C used powder blue. The Mounted Detachment used yellow. It stands to reason that the same colors were used on the diamonds painted on the M-1917 helmets.

post-9487-0-59279600-1579973967_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-88118300-1579973976_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-57733000-1579973985.jpg

post-9487-0-90689600-1579973991_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-89925100-1579974231_thumb.jpg

So cool, makes you wonder why the obvious effort wasn’t made to place an ega in the center of that paint. It was going in pretty regularly before that time, just seems like it would have been done to mirror those diamonds in the fur hat. Have you ever seen an original one of these? I seem to remember a post or reference that might have shown one with a white diamond.

Kevin per the Marine Corps Musuem curatorial staff there is no known and confirmed example of a China Marine helmet out there, either from Shanghai or Peking that has been found to date. There is a photo of a helmet with diamond in Vol I of "Equipping the Corps" but I have not seen that open diamond style in any photos and I have a fairly good reference library of images and period publications to draw from. Dick is right imo they did for a few years attempt to copy the company color idea on to the helmet starting around 1932-33 as there are images of at least one line company sporting the painted diamond. The blues and red don't show up well in photos as the white and yellows, so it's a real struggle to find them in the photos. However by 36-37, around the time Col Rixey left they become very scarce in photos- only showing up with some Hq elements and on the mounted. I think the last group to wear them was the Det Commandant (Rixey) and his Hq senior officers. My guess is Vandegrift, who took over from Rixey, did not like them.

I knew you would jump in Dirk given the topic. It’s kind of like fishing, I throw out a little bait and you come along and bite! Thanks very much for the information. Yes, it was Equipping the. Corps where I saw that, and remember now the “open” style diamond. It is hard to believe at least one attributed diamond helmet has not surfaced, but I am sure they are as rare as the fur hats, obviously maybe more. I think I recall you stating before that perhaps there were strict inventory regulations in place where the Marines were prohibited from taking stuff home, am I recalling that correctly? Kind of like the prohibition of wearing the polar bear patches home from Iceland (although I think they returned with the patch, just in most cases not wearing them on the uniform). While we are on the topic, I once saw a Patton saber (the model carried by the horse Marines) for sale with a blue painted scabbard. The seller was suggesting it was one carried by a China Marine and the scabbard was painted to match diamonds. I found that very strange and have never seen a reference to that or any other painted scabbards. Did the horse Marines wear only yellow diamonds? Still trying to wrap my head around the company colors. White for HQ is easy, but the companies referred to, were they outside of the horse Marines? Thanks as always, Kevin

Yup, like a fish on a hook :) imo the Mounted were the first to wear diamonds based on one reference I found 1928-29 followed within the year by the HQ and line companies. The colors Dick highlights above are correct. There are small references that confirm this in several annuals, other period writings and interviews I did with still living China Marines. As far as I know until something comes to light yellow was always the mounted's color. I am guessing they followed Army colors yellow cav, Blue infantry (38th was a MG company) red for Artillery (39th was the Artillery company). The 62nd was a straight rifle company ("bright blue" is what they called their color) I don't think a green version existed btw. i am sure there are candidates for China Marine helmets out there, but I don't know of any that have a rock solid accepted provanace. Makes them even rarer than the fur caps. As for Mounted sabers, again the Marines have no confirmed examples in their collection. Period Photos show two variations in the Embassy guard inventory: a brighter (nickeled?) model for parades and a subdued version for field use. Even then I don't know what colors the scabbards were for the parade version. Maybe the Archives will reveal that in time. I keep looking, sometimes answers to these questions show up in letters, books or an item found in a scrap book.

Thanks again Dirk, your explanation of the various colors for the companies finally put this in perspective for me. And, I love fishing more than just about anything so I hope you took that as a compliment. Your expertise on this subject is commendable and I sure appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge. And thanks to the original poster for starting this thread. Great stuff.

Thanks Dirk and Warguy. I thought that since I had original photographs that I scanned at high resolution and I had the written information that I would do a few posts on China Marine equipment and weapons. As Dirk said there are no identified China Marine helmets or swords. Having done the Horse Marine book has given me the opportunity to speak to collectors who would normally not discuss their collections. There are a couple of swords that the owners hope are original China Horse Marine swords but but they really have no idea. From what I understand swords and horse tack were army issue. I have no photographs of Marine saddles having "USMC" embossed in the stirrup hood. I have a EGA roundel and a pair of army eagle roundels used on the bridle. In the dozens of closeup portraits of marines and their horses both are used. I was lucky to have the John Angstadt collection and lucky to be able to do the book on the Horse Marines. However, the real expert on China Marines is Dirk. His knowledge is amazing!

Dick your book is excellent, I find myself constantly referencing it and you're pretty modest, you have brought great value to those of us interested in the China Marines! Kevin