Photo

civil war era leather goods with two US plates..?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 skinsfan

skinsfan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 13,311
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:04 AM

https://postimg.cc/gallery/33udnznyi/

Hi folks,can anyone identify what these leather goods are or a time frame by US buckle type???...the leather strap looks as though it was field modified into two straps as it is cut thru the maker mark that I cannot quite make out....perhaps the two seperate pcs of leather goods were not made together but they came in the same box lot at a Gettysburg firearms auction...any clues are much appreciated....perhaps they are newer or older than Civil war period,I just don't know....hopefully my pics will tell the tale...looks horse tack to me??Scott

#2 AustinO

AustinO
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,941
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:22 AM

Well thats a horse bridle rosette, so it probably started life as a bridle but was cut down at some point.  I believe yours is probably Indian wars era at the earliest and not Civil War. They were still using this style of rosette up through WWI as well.

#3 skinsfan

skinsfan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 13,311
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:35 AM

thanks very much,i was even thinking SAW perhaps....i thought about trying to clean the plates(is that the rosette?,i'm not a cavalry guy to say the least)....but the backside of metal hasn't seen daylight in many ,many years...Scott

#4 Ivydiv

Ivydiv
  • Members
    • Member ID: 161,085
  • 296 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:56 PM

I saw one yesterday in a shop that had an Officers Army Hat Badge Eagle on the Rosette. I don't have a picture, but has anyone seen one like that before? Also, what period do you think it would be? Thanks in advance for any information on it. Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users