US Navy Officer's Sword

ponyradish

I need some help on this sword. Is there anyway to set a time period to this sword. It is a high quality H&H in pristine condition. It is named to N.L. Carroll. I tried to research this man but could not find anything. Would someone more knowledgeable than me see if you can ID this Officer? Thanks in advance, Pony.

post-938-0-93598600-1579207965.jpg

post-938-0-60389900-1579207973.jpg

post-938-0-14441100-1579207981.jpg

post-938-0-27898800-1579207989.jpg

I believe this sword is probably quite recent. Aside from the appearance of the sword itself, Navy Registers of Officers up to 1992 are available on line. None contain an entry for an officer with these initials and last name, so most likely he was commissioned post-1992. If you can get access to more recent Registers, you may be able to find him. This is still the current regulation sword for officers and is still being made.

I disagree with the above opinion, being it is a German made sword as another poster noted and the fact it has that makers mark I would say it dates 60s-70s period. The majority sold in the 80s and up are either Spanish or Chinese produced explains and are fairly poor quality.

The famous old Solingen firm WKC still makes this model sword which can be purchased through the Navy Exchange or companies like Marlow White and Vanguard. Here is an ad by one retailer who carries both Marlow and Vanguard swords:

http://www.theshipinabottle.com/products/Vanguard_MarlowWhite_WKC_Swords.html

Again H&H has not been marketing swords for a long time now! Sword is Vietnam Era!

There was a LT Norman Lambert Carroll who retired in 1975, born in 1927 listed in the Register. He seems kinda old, but he was promoted to LT in July 1975 and retired the same month, so his sword would have been late 60s, early 70s...

https://books.google.com/books?id=0zZYKn-IkYAC&pg=PA59&lpg=PA59&dq=norman+lambert+carroll&source=bl&ots=WzETnjqo3M&sig=ACfU3U08xYiR3scyA4lqpoBRuDf8Kw-a0g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjl0Nr_6JDnAhUnvFkKHeeHDEwQ6AEwAXoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=norman%20lambert%20carroll&f=false

There was a LT Norman Lambert Carroll who retired in 1975, born in 1927 listed in the Register. He seems kinda old, but he was promoted to LT in July 1975 and retired the same month, so his sword would have been late 60s, early 70s...

https://books.google.com/books?id=0zZYKn-IkYAC&pg=PA59&lpg=PA59&dq=norman+lambert+carroll&source=bl&ots=WzETnjqo3M&sig=ACfU3U08xYiR3scyA4lqpoBRuDf8Kw-a0g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjl0Nr_6JDnAhUnvFkKHeeHDEwQ6AEwAXoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=norman%20lambert%20carroll&f=false

+1

I'm going to say this is probably the guy. As an ENS/JG or as a Warrant (I'd have to look at how his career path went) he wouldn't have required a sword. He might have gotten this on his retirement day, for all we know. While there's no "1970s sword" look, it does look like it might be a modern sword with a few decades of very light age on it.

I think "case closed" on this one. :) Nice find!

Oh, and his designator was 6183, so he was Surface Electronics Limited Duty Officer (6180) but with the retired "3" (6183). So that would explain his age for his rank. Probably/possibly an E-6, Chief (or Senior/Master Chief), or CWO-2 or -3 before becoming an LDO.