Bulletin On Brown T-Shirts August 1982

patches

A Bulletin on the new Brown T-Shirts in the August 1982 issue of SOLDIERS magazine, can't say that we ever seen them or were told to buy them in the Fall early Winter of that year up at Ft Wainwright. In this unit, the 4/9th, even gong back the previous year n 1981 only the OD shirt was authorized, even in Garrison, White one's were prohibited. Now earlier when in the Cav, OD T-Shirts were prohibited in Garrison, only White ones were to be worn, OD ones only authorized as the saying went, "Beyond The Cowhouse" meaning the field, the Cowhouse Creek.

post-34986-0-18420400-1579141434_thumb.jpg

I was issued the white t-shirts for basic ( Ft Benning soil turned them a red/brown color) in 1981. When I arrived at Ft Polk in the fall of 81, I received an initial issue of green t-shirts but all of my unit patches were still colored red( 5th ID) it wasn't until later that we had to switch over to the black patch

This is going back 30 years, but I think in Basic I was issued 4 brown t-shirts for wear with BDUs (also issued 4 sets of BDUs, 2 summer weight rip-stop and 2 winter weight cotton blend) and 2 white t-shirts for wear with Class A and B uniforms.

• 1 year later...

......well, was in the Army from Aug 1980, took terminal leave and was out by July 1984. Was issued white t-shirts in basic along with OG 507 fatigues.  At Ft Hood, if my memory serves me, we were authorized to wear either white or green undershirts. I had to purchase the green shirts.. In late summer or early fall, don't remember which. We were issued two sets of BDU's and I think we also rec'd the brown t-shirts. I do remember having all three during my time. A funny aside to all this. After we were issued the BDU's, we were ordered NOT to wear them because Higher Command wanted uniformity in the ranks. I don't think the carbon copies of that order had cooled before new recruits started reporting to the unit. They had all only been issued BDU's or had two pair of cammies and og's. I know from that day on until I left the service. You rarely had a formation without guys in both uniforms and who knows wearing which color t-shirt.