101st Airborne Quartermaster Identification

michiel01

Many years ago I aquired a nice 101st Airborne set, supposedly all from the same guy, with some provenance. Other US Airborne collectors I spoke back then, all knew the set to be correct. Since then the set did not get the attention it deserved, hanging in one of the racks in the collectionroom. The set (an Ike Jacket, shirt, pants and Belt with QM buckle) was planned to leave the collection, but the better option is, that it will get a nicer spot :) Got to say, I'm still very fond of this jacket. That makes that It is time now to find out a little more about the jacket and it's former wearer. I must honestly admit that I'm not really a US militaria collector, I have some WW1 uniforms and only 3 ww2 uniforms, besides this one, nothing fancy. So I kind of need some directions in which way to go, since the 101st is an unit that have seen quite a lot of research I thought it would be easy to find some info on this gentleman, stupid me....

Is there anyone who can and wants to help me with mister Ballard?

The jacket from the set:

post-11078-0-76358900-1579091571.jpg

post-11078-0-66676800-1579091703.jpg

Ballard's name written in the pants (best to take a photo off) same handwriting as in the jacket and shirt.

post-11078-0-14389000-1579091364_thumb.jpg

Along with the set came 2 documents from 1969 and 1970 with a Ballard, Gorden E or Gordy listed. This actually got me puzzeled, can anyone explain the combination of the 1960's doc's with a RA number with ww2 enlistment?

Any additional info on this GI is much appreciated, or where I can possibly trace him.

With kindest regards,

Michiel

The documents that came with the uniform:

post-11078-0-88051200-1579092973_thumb.jpg

in this file 1970 he is listed as:

Ballard, Gordon E.SSAN: 307-54-7752 PFC-E3

post-11078-0-31919200-1579093111.jpg

In this file (1969) he is listed as:

Ballard, Gordy E. RA 16 949 883 PVT-E2 Co B 2nd B (ABN) 501st Infantry

This means he stayed a while as a reservist in the army (if it's all the same person).?

all help appreciated, with kindest regards,

Michiel

I've been collecting just Quartermaster materials since 2011, and I'll say that Airborne anything with QM insignia is hard to find. I have none in my collection. That's a great uniform! There are folks here on the forum that have access to lots of records, so I'd seek them out if you can. Also, I've had success with Golden Arrow Research in pulling info from the St. Louis archive. He does charge for his services but I've been very satisfied thus far.

Good luck!

I would say with a fair amount of certainty that the paperwork that you have is not the person whose name appears in your Ike jacket.

Additionally, 1969/ 70 time period would mean that your guy had served for about 25 years. This is far too long for the guy to be a PFC.

Here is the find a grave for the guy whose paperwork you have. You will see that this guy served in the 501st AIR. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/319110/gordon-e-ballard

Allan

I would say with a fair amount of certainty that the paperwork that you have is not the person whose name appears in your Ike jacket.

Additionally, 1969/ 70 time period would mean that your guy had served for about 25 years. This is far too long for the guy to be a PFC.

Here is the find a grave for the guy whose paperwork you have. You will see that this guy served in the 501st AIR. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/319110/gordon-e-ballard

Allan

Hello Allan,

Thank you for your reply, that surely makes sense that it's way to long to be PFC, I had not thought of that.

ok, in that case the paperwork and uniform are no match, (possibly family, but so far nothing conclusive).

Any thoughts on how to proceed on this one, with only a last name and an uniform?

thank you,

Michiel

Stinger Gunner USMC

the next step for me in research would be to see who Gordon Ballard's father was. its possible the paperwork belongs to the son of the owner of the jacket

Allan

The uniform probably belonged to his father, Frank Ballard. Their was an Frank Ballard in the 326th QM Bn.

Thank you gentlemen for the fast responses, I'm very glad that you share your knowledge and insights!

Ok, so far, the Father of our documented Vietnam Vet Gordon E Ballard, is Frank E Ballard.

there was a Frank E Ballard in 326th QM Bn according to mr. Dijkhuizen his sources. That means that Frank Ballard must have been part of the 426th Coy of 326th QM Bn to be attached to the 101st AB Div.

Is there anyone with acces to these unit files? Or do I need someone to go into the St. Louis archive as Major Z proposes?

Kindest regards,

Michiel

I pulled this from the web- https://www.ww2-airborne.us/units/426/426.html

"On 23 July 1918 the 326th Supply Train was constituted as part of the National Army and was assigned to the 101st Division. It was partially organized between October-November 1918 then demobilized 11 December.

The 326th Supply train was reconstituted on 24 June 1921 in the Organized Reserves as the 101st Division Train, Quartermaster Corps. It was fully organized in January 1922 with Headquarters at Milwaukee, Wisconsin. On23 March 1925 it was redesignated the 101st Division Quartermaster Train. Over 10 years later on 1 July 1936 this unit was again reorganized and redesignated as the 426th Quartermaster Regiment and remained assigned to the 101st Division.

World War II
After the outbreak of war the unit was once again reorganized and redesignated on 30 January 1942 as the 426th Quartermaster Battalion and remained assigned to the 101st Division. Disbanded 15 August 1942; concurrently reconstituted in the Army of the United States, consolidated with the 426th Airborne Quartermaster Company (constituted 6 August 1942 in the Army of the United States), and consolidated unit activated at Camp Claiborne, Louisiana as the 426th Airborne Quartermaster Company, an element of the 101st Airborne Division. Inactivated 30 November 1945 in France."

I think this will help you with your research.

Allan

• 5 months later...