30 replies to this topic

#26 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 24,130 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:59 PM

Hi Patches,

I don't think these Divisions (35th and 80th) waited for any approval. I believe the "TAC marks" were used to mark unit gear during the war. I agree with you and would also like to see photo evidence of the 80th using unit marks during the war.

Hopefully someone will find some pics.

Chris

Well if thee patch for the 80th was only appoved on the 20th of October and thy're wearing it before hand, that means it was a divisional sign, but haven;t seen that yet, the 33rd Division's patch started off as an Illinois Militia/National Guard sign before the Great War, but still haven't seen it wore pre armistice in France..

The one that always had me curious was the 81st Division, these guys apparently had thee very first shoulder patch right, we're all familiar with this story, Hoboken New Jersey etc etc, would love to see photos of that worn pre armistice.

Edited by patches, 15 January 2020 - 07:04 PM.

#27 Chris Miller

Chris Miller
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 280,447
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:05 PM

As someone who has ADD, I think I’ve stumbled into the wrong hobby! Joke. Seriously, you guys really know so many details! I just spent an hour on wiki pages just reading about some of these divisions you guys were talking about.

I have learned (though this forum and through common sense) that at least the wildly colored painted helmets were post action. I’m fine with that and to my point of view the parade helmet makes WW1 AEF collecting unique and fun. Unless the helmet was painted last week and made to look like it wasn’t. That’s what I’m trying to avoid when I started this post originally. I thought I had this all figured out and I was looking for confirmation of my “expertise”. Instead I found out I really know nothing and was foolish to think otherwise. Then I realized this was perfect for me! I’ve found a true challenge. I don’t want to just own stuff. I want to be stimulated to learn. One day I want to be able hold an item and rant passionately about where that has been, what it may have seen and who may have held it. And when I’m finished, my wife or kids will have that “just smelled a fart” look on their face and I’ll know I’m no longer a newbie to this hobby!

Thanks again to all who have replied to this post and helped me really get the bug!

#28 hink441

hink441
  • Members
    • Member ID: 10,825
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:53 AM

Well if thee patch for the 80th was only appoved on the 20th of October and thy're wearing it before hand, that means it was a divisional sign, but haven;t seen that yet, the 33rd Division's patch started off as an Illinois Militia/National Guard sign before the Great War, but still haven't seen it wore pre armistice in France..

The one that always had me curious was the 81st Division, these guys apparently had thee very first shoulder patch right, we're all familiar with this story, Hoboken New Jersey etc etc, would love to see photos of that worn pre armistice.

Chris welcome to the crazy world of helmet collecting. There are a lot of people with a lot of knowledge on this forum. It is always good to share info and ideas. That is what makes this forum so interesting and entertaining at times.

Patches, I don't know if you are talking about patches on sleeves or painted helmets. But the attached thread has pictures of the 89th, 35th and 33rd Divisions wearing painted helmets prior to the end of the war.

http://www.usmilitar...ainted-helmets/

This is post #38 from the attached thread showing the 33rd wearing painted helmets.

image.jpeg

Edited by hink441, 16 January 2020 - 03:57 AM.

#29 Thor996

Thor996
  • Members
    • Member ID: 30,395
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:55 AM

As someone who has ADD, I think I’ve stumbled into the wrong hobby! Joke. Seriously, you guys really know so many details! I just spent an hour on wiki pages just reading about some of these divisions you guys were talking about.

I have learned (though this forum and through common sense) that at least the wildly colored painted helmets were post action. I’m fine with that and to my point of view the parade helmet makes WW1 AEF collecting unique and fun. Unless the helmet was painted last week and made to look like it wasn’t. That’s what I’m trying to avoid when I started this post originally. I thought I had this all figured out and I was looking for confirmation of my “expertise”. Instead I found out I really know nothing and was foolish to think otherwise. Then I realized this was perfect for me! I’ve found a true challenge. I don’t want to just own stuff. I want to be stimulated to learn. One day I want to be able hold an item and rant passionately about where that has been, what it may have seen and who may have held it. And when I’m finished, my wife or kids will have that “just smelled a fart” look on their face and I’ll know I’m no longer a newbie to this hobby!

Thanks again to all who have replied to this post and helped me really get the bug!

Welcome to the club and the forum. You are in the right place. This forum has literally saved me hundreds of dollars in mistakes.  The old adage that if something is worth anything someone has faked it sure applies to militaria.   I would also say that if you start dabbling into insignia you should join ASMIC. I have been an ASMIC member almost from the moment I started collecting patches.  I had no idea when I first started collecting patches what I was getting into and I've got a long long way to go in my learning curve there but have learned so much here...

Pay attention, learn and ask questions. There's some very good people here who will help you out. 

happy hunting. There's great stuff to be found.

dave

#30 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 24,130 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:11 AM

Chris welcome to the crazy world of helmet collecting. There are a lot of people with a lot of knowledge on this forum. It is always good to share info and ideas. That is what makes this forum so interesting and entertaining at times.

Patches, I don't know if you are talking about patches on sleeves or painted helmets. But the attached thread has pictures of the 89th, 35th and 33rd Divisions wearing painted helmets prior to the end of the war.

http://www.usmilitar...ainted-helmets/

This is post #38 from the attached thread showing the 33rd wearing painted helmets.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Thanks for that Hink, indeed, guess cause the 33rd's sign was already established they started early, makes me now wonder  just how many divisions actually had a insignia in mind as their divisional symbol that would be officially adopted in late Octber 1918 and beyond, one that comes to mind is the Keystone of the Pennsylvanian 28th Divison, that's a well know sign for this state. Then there's as mentioned the 81st Division, dying to see if they started putting that Wild Cat insignia on their helmets earlier on.

#31 GWS

GWS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,137
  • 395 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 02:54 PM

Chris--As you can see, there are a bunch of helpful opinions here, and lots of  sound judgements too. While the helmet on Ebay looks fine to me, don't be afraid to slow down a bit and not buy it. Give yourself some time to learn as much about something before you buy, not after.  Go to some shows and experience the militaria for yourself, and talk to people there about what you are interested in. By all means, keep asking questions and soliciting opinions on here of course too. Your collecting education will progress nicely then.

Steve

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users