Hello everyone,

One of the ladies my mother works with knows that I have an interest in militaria and has asked for help with one of her relative's uniforms. After some limited searching, I believe I have determined it be of the Spanish-American War era. There are additional items from the veteran including medals and a gunpowder flask, however I have not had the opportunity to photograph those. We would greatly appreciate a rough estimate of its value and date of production. Thank you for all of your assistance!

Sincerely,

Grant

post-11015-0-06002100-1578939877_thumb.jpg

post-11015-0-54218600-1578939932_thumb.jpg

Nice. It has all the right earmarks to be Span Am war. This particular set would be worn from 1890 until about 1902. The artillery sgt. chevrons are of the pattern used through 1902. The fatigue coat is the 1890 pattern. The lining looks pre-1898, the blue gray mixed wool standard until 1897. There may be traces of the quartermaster inspection stamp (with the date) on the sleeve lining but not likely as those wore off easily plus the coat was clearly tailored, and likely cleaned during its use. It also has that pinking strip some NCO's and soldiers added. The trousers are standard 1885 pattern with proper 1" sgt. stripes.

As for when it was used specifically, the key may be in those medals and any paperwork the family has along with the name of course. Prior to the Span Am war the artillery was a small branch, grew by several regiments during the war, then grew again post war dividing into the coast artillery and field artillery branches in 1901.