Navy CPO khaki shirts

topdcnut

A fairly short lived change to CPO uniform regs. From about 1949 to 1952 or 53 a khaki rating badge was authorized for the long sleeve shirt that went with service dress and working khaki uniforms.

A fairly short lived change to CPO uniform regs. From about 1949 to 1952 or 53 a khaki rating badge was authorized for the long sleeve shirt that went with service dress and working khaki uniforms.

I knew it was short lived but you would think there were more out there, did this reg apply to USCG also?

July 1952 a USN announcement eliminated the rating badge from CPO khaki shirts. The rating badge was to be removed from the sleeve, a quick run through the laundry, a pressing and many more years of service life from the shirt.

A couple of photos from 1950 ALL HANDS magazine.

. First, I like the crow in the sleeve. Also, note, no collar devices, and at least 2 of the Chiefs are wearing shirts with epelets

I knew it was short lived but you would think there were more out there, did this reg apply to USCG also?

My guess is that they were so easy to use as work shirts in civilian life that most were worn out. I believe USCG regs were the same.

An older thread with more images:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/104883-cpo-working-kahki/?hl=%2Bkhaki+%2Bshirt+%2Brating+%2Bbadge&do=findComment&comment=778295

My guess is that they were so easy to use as work shirts in civilian life that most were worn out. I believe USCG regs were the same.

An older thread with more images:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/104883-cpo-working-kahki/?hl=%2Bkhaki+%2Bshirt+%2Brating+%2Bbadge&do=findComment&comment=778295

. Pretty much. After they were no longer usable as Dress, they went to the Work side of the locker. Then, when you retired, you either took them to do work around the house, (as with dungarees), or gave them to your ship mates.

I knew guys who, just before getting out in the early 1970s, would by new dungaree trousers and Khaki shirts to wear when they got home to work in the factories.