Salvation Army pot

aerialbridge

aerialbridge

Picked this up for a few bucks 10 years ago. Just curious about when it was manufactured, if the graffiti was put on over original paint, or any other info from the experts. It's the only pot I own and I know nothing about pots.

post-18406-0-12502400-1578264245.jpg

post-18406-0-30700300-1578264253_thumb.jpg

milsurp_scout_14

Those para straps are 'P' marked, which I believe indicates post-Vietnam. Looks like Sharpie marker for the artwork, and fairly fresh. Doubt that part is military.

aerialbridge

Thanks for the comments, I'd be satisfied if it's a Vietnam era pot from the 60s, and a paratrooper one at that, as it seems like it might be. Doesn't seem to be a definitive consensus on what the "P" means on the chin strap buckle (or whatever it's correct term is). And it certainly seems that at least the silver sharpy tagging is LA Hip Hop and not 50 year old hippy scrawl, and probably the "OR" or "OQ" as well, not sure because I can't read "tagging". I was curious about when "smiley face" was invented since there is one of those on it. Smiley goes back to 1963, :) From just looking on ebay, it seems like the vintage liners are worth as much or more than the helmets.

https://www.tested.com/art/makers/459253-real-smiley-face-was-created-50-years-ago-month/

aerialbridge

You can do with it what you wish, but I would add a camo cover and liner and display it as a Vietnam-era paratrooper M1C.

I'd like to do just as you suggest. Not knowing about helmets, do you mind telling me what specs I should look for in the camo cover and liner? I'm guessing there are sellers out there trying to pass off fake or newer pieces as "Vietnam-era". I wouldn't mind cleaning off the graffiti sharpie and paint if that can be done without damaging the original paint, any suggestions on that? Thanks.

If you're going to slap a cover on it I would probably just leave it as is. If you're dead set on removing it a little bit of goof off should go a long way.

As for the cover you'll want a Mitchell pattern cover like this:

post-169952-0-13818400-1578410314.jpg

It shouldn't be too difficult to find one of these at a reasonable price. If you want a more accurate representation pick up one with the short flaps (like pictured) rather than the long flaps and look at the contract list to find one with a early/mid 60s contract date http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/80042-mitchell-cover-contract-list/

You shouldn't have any trouble finding an original one, I would suggest to stay away from the "graffiti" covers though. There plenty of people attempting to fake graffiti on them.

For the liner, a 60s era paratrooper liner would be what you're looking for:

post-169952-0-39471200-1578410497.jpg

Again, if you're looking for a more accurate representation try to find one with a early/mid 60s production date on the webbing.

if you are a helmet collector, leave it alone, slap a cammo cover on it like others say to fill a history period on it.

you are not sure of the graffiti on it, just cover it up, who knows what the future brings

I have seen a few helmets have grand kids draw on it, the vet did not care and the kid later inherit it

semper fi

aerialbridge

Thanks, Gentlemen, really appreciate the advice. I will look for a cammo cover and a liner to restore it to what it should be.