Rear echelon WWII photos from Italy

Greg Sebring

Cedar Smith

Greg -- Can you find Bud in the photo below? Pretty sure my Grandfather (Albert T Ostberg) was in the same unit. I've got a lot of great photos from him, am hoping to publish them as a book, but in the meantime I have 97 of them (so far) on my website. I don't have much info from him, so I am piecing together captions from hints from friends and strangers. Already got some clues from this thread -- still have a lot of blanks, too many questions to ask. Hope you and others will take a look at www.cedarsilverfox.com?ATO/main.html and feed me more clues. All feedback is welcome and appreciated!

Cedar

181.gif

Greg Sebring

Cedar,

As to Bud being in the photo, I can't be sure but would guess the bottom row, 2nd from right. Do you know where was this photo taken at ??

Greg

Cedar Smith

Greg -- Alas, there is a lot that I don't know, including where most of these were taken. Based on the few notes he made on the margins of photos, he was in Bizerte in Sept '43, and Caserta in Jan '44. And of course he was in the vicinity of Vesuvius when it was erupting... I just found a phone number for the Archives II Records Branch of NARA, where I am told I can find unit records. Hopefully I will have an update on this Monday.

I think you might be right in identifying Bud, and it is a nice thrill to have a (probable) name for one of these faces. I am hoping to find a list of the men in the unit, and more about where they were when, and who knows what else.

Thanks --

Cedar

I noted separation from Camp Sheridan. My mom worked the PX there. She told me that the ONE thing every GI came in wanting to buy was fresh milk. It was sold cheaply, something like a penny a bottle. They all bought a pile and proceeded to get sick. So they upped the charge to something like 2 for a nickel, and it cut back on the mass consumption. They said the one thing they really had not been able to get in the service was fresh milk, and when a new load would come onto the base they would just5 swarm the PX for it!

Greg Sebring

Cedar,

Was your Grandfather in the 2012th Ordinance Maintenance Company too? It's neat we can make the connection after so many years.

Let me know when the book is published. My Uncle's wife is still alive and very interested in WWII history. If you can ID any photos from you collection of Bud I sure would like to see them.

Greg

Cedar Smith

Greg -- yes, my grandfather's discharge reads the same as Bud's -- 2012th Ord (MM) AF Co, but he was a TEC 4. I'm thinking I might see Bud at the back about center on the photo below, and I will keep looking. I can't get the link here to go directly to my gallery page, but if you go to my home page www.cedarsilverfox.com, there is a link in the first paragraph -- there you can see all 97 photos I have done so far. But the book will be better. Cedar

177.gif