Rear echelon WWII photos from Italy

Greg Sebring

Greg Sebring

I hope this doesn't become too repetitive. Today I was given the opportunity to view a collection of photographs the wife's uncle took while he was overseas during WWII. He was in the Army Air Corps and was a driver of many different vehicles. He was stationed in Italy and took quite a few pictures. I will post some to show vehicles, equipment, terrain, etc. He was quite a mechanic and ran a tool and die shop back in the States after the war. He loved Harley Davidson motorcycles and toured all over the U.S. with his wife on a Fat Boy.

I dedicate this thread to him, Bronaslaw "Bud" Gebarowski. He played the accordion and was proud of his Polish heritage.

Greg

post-118-1231291149.jpg

Greg Sebring

This last picture shows Bud on the right. His nephew is the young lad in the middle with the gas mask on. The soldier on the left is Bud's brother Joe. He was also in the USAAF and stayed Stateside training Troops.

The support troops maybe didn't get the glory as front line combat troops but I'm sure we all agree that without the behind the lines support, the effectiveness of the fighting forces would be greatly reduced.

Thanks for your viewing and any comments are welcome,

Greg

post-118-1231293002.jpg

Greg, thanks for taking the time to scan and post all the photos. Great stuff! thumbsup.gif It wasn't all about airborne glory boys; as you say, there was a lot more to the war effort.