Questions About 167th Alabama Regiment & Great Uncle

BryanJ

Not sure if anyone has any insight into this question, but if you do please let me know. My Grandmother’s brother, Pvt. Monroe Suggs, was a member of the 167th Alabama Regiment, and was one of 162 members of the regiment killed on July 26, 1918 during the Battle of Croix Rouge Farm (I believe a battle during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive). As brutal / lethal as most battles were during WWI, that seems like an extremely deadly day for any one regiment during any battle. I’ve ready what little information I can find on this offensive, and have read one book specifically about the 167th, but would like to learn anything available about my great uncle and how he was KIA. Any suggestions about what may be available?

If you are ever in Montgomery, the Alabama Archives has an excellent exhibit featuring the 167th Infantry. They may have some additional information concerning the Battle of Croix Rouge Farm available in the research department which is open to the public with a staff to assist.

Marchville1918

I found Pvt Monroe Suggs in the Supply Co of the 167th Inf on the passenger list for the troop transport Andania or maybe Andonia, outbound Nov 6,1917. Lists nearest relative as Fannie Suggs. Didn't find anything else.

Here is a a couple of screen shots of the area around the red cross farm.

Depending what year you set the view at, you can clearly still see many shell craters in and around the area.

The lake or etang at the extreme lower left of one shot is where there was a us field aid station for the wounded.

I read about this battle some years ago. The Alabamians were sent in to take the farm with no artillery support if Im remembering right?

The farm was full of machine guns with artillery support. But they took the farm at great cost. There is a pdf on the web that shows the pictures of the Men killed in the battle. Im trying to find it.

The farm was still there as of 2006.. sometime after that it was torn down and the memorial with the statue was built.

post-181333-0-95046700-1577847888_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of what remains of Croix Rouge Farm I took in September 2018. The 167th's monument is on the right.

post-1496-0-37125400-1577852787_thumb.jpg

Gentlemen. I don’t know what to say. I posted this a couple of hours ago, my wife and I was watching a movie, I checked back in this evening and found all the research you guys have done. Until tonight, I didn’t even know my great grandmother’s name, where they were from (I knew somewhere around Anniston) now I know her address. I don’t know what to say, other than a very sincere thank-you. I have been looking for an excuse to visit the CMP in Anniston again for another M1 Garand...now I definitely need to visit CMP and see if I can track down any Suggs relatives that may still be in the area. Rest In Peace Monroe Suggs...you are not forgotten.