Need ID on three Iraq/Afghanistan era BDU's.

My close friend's estate ( PTSD) closed out and I have received three of his BDU's. All different, I need detailed information on these, unit, era, etc, as I plan to get them on display at our local Legion. post-180924-0-36094500-1577818087_thumb.jpeg

You have them in order, 6-color desert (chocolate chip DBDU) was Desert Storm, 3-color desert (DCU) was early Iraq OEF/OIF, the OCP was his last uniform. The T-patch is the 36th Infantry Division, Texas national guard as was the 49th Armored patch on the DBDU.

Sorry for your loss.

So all three tops are from his time in service with the Texas National Guard in the 36th Infantry Division. The chocolate chip top was the 49th "lone star" division, the DCU is 36th Infantry Division on his left sleeve, right sleeve is a previous deployment with the US Army Intelligence and Security Command. The multicam is again 36th on the left and the right is with Multi-national Force - Iraq (MNF-I). The left sleeve has ISAF indicating he used that top in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.

Thank you all for the detailed information. Plans are in place to put together a US uniform " timeline", what BDU type comes after his ISAF one or is that still in service? Interestingly, while discussing the uniform theme at our Legion, I discovered a Vietnam vet who will display one of his, he participated in the L Drang 1964 battle alongside Col. Moore ( " We were soldiers once" movie fame)....I have hopes of an exhibit that starts from WW1.

Question for the uniform experts. How to best display on a wall? I will have more than a few ( WW2, Vietnam, post Vietnam era) and want to display them by issue date on a wall. Will they be okay hung on the wall ( about 6 ft up and higher) or should they be under plastic or plexiglass? There is no direct sunlight ( UV damage?). My concern would be having to dust or blow off accumulating dust. Planned display time will be renewed yearly. All thoughts and ideas appreciated.

Thank you all for the detailed information. Plans are in place to put together a US uniform " timeline", what BDU type comes after his ISAF one or is that still in service? Interestingly, while discussing the uniform theme at our Legion, I discovered a Vietnam vet who will display one of his, he participated in the L Drang 1964 battle alongside Col. Moore ( " We were soldiers once" movie fame)....I have hopes of an exhibit that starts from WW1.

The next uniform in line after the multicam would be the ACU in OCP. It looks nearly identical to the uniform with the ISAF patch, except the pattern is slightly different, and on the sleeve pockets, there is no longer a flap. That is the easiest way to identify the difference between the multicam and newer OCP.

Simon Lerenfort

Sorry to hear of your good friends loss, I hope his family find something positive from the memorial to his service at the Legion post.

Sorry to hear of your good friends loss, I hope his family find something positive from the memorial to his service at the Legion post.

Thank you. On Dec 7th I travelled to Texas to pick up his huge collection of 1:18 aircraft models, uniforms and related items. Most items are being displayed in the Legion, ( work in progress) which needs a boost in interest and membership. The Newnan Times ran an article when I hung up 22 aircraft, people are stopping by just to see the huge models.His 72 year old mother is thrilled. My aim is to transform two large areas into a " museum" containing local military "artifacts". We have many unknowns , two WW2 vets, and one of our members fought In the battle of L Drang in 64 ( We Were Once Soldiers) fame....he walked up to me and my kid ( when I was painting the ceiling and moving models around) commenting the planes looked great, I noticed his hat, Vietnam vet, ranger, Gary Owen DUI, and asked him when he served....he told us in brief Nam tour, painful for him....and then stated he would get me one of his uniforms to display when I put ours up.....said his kids have no interest and he has not opened his dufflebag since 1970....I have put out a call to vet members for memorabilia...good things starting to happen.

We will never forget.

Outstanding job you’re doing.

Please keep us in the loop and send more pictures.

If I had any money I would get as close to life mannequins and display how he would have looked at the time with his gear.

Simon Lerenfort

I am not sure how the Mother of this soldier would feel if a lifelike model was used to display her sons uniforms. I would think a more noble approach would be to use pictures of him in uniform and display his uniforms on torso mannequins. The Vietnam veteran sounds like someone else who might one day talk about his time in service, I hope he finds a good friend and listening ear in you. Best wishes,

Simon.

Cracking set of uniforms, nice to see the evolution throughout the years. If you are looking at doing uniforms from WW1-current, don't forget you'll need the ACU in UCP, that blue grey pattern that was issued post-BDU era but prior to, but also alongside the OCP that you have last, as well as a good old fashioned woodland BDU.

I'd just ensure your research is checked and double checked, the battle of La Drang was 1965 not 1964, simple errors like that can diminish what could be an amazing display.

On a footnote, I will be receiving a few allies uniforms he had picked up while doing some work for DOS while in northern Iraq. Czech, Polish, British I think. He had stated when they worked together there they traded uniforms, should be interesting.

Honorable project. Thanks for posting. 36th ID guys were our security forces when I was in Afghanistan, great guys! National Guard guys have such varied backgrounds and experiences, the just got things done. They rotated out and were replaced with 101st Airborne guys, they were all-army-all the time and had trouble thinking outside the box, harder to work with.

BKW