SBL M6 sheath

schmooser

Persian Gulf Command

Looks to have honest use w/o any damage. If a decent blade marked Utica in in the M6 scabbard than $400. would be a safe price to pay.

I agree that the whole set is legit. The SBL M6, has the correct rivets, and appropriate wear. The price, $660, probably a little high. I would try to negotiate for a lower price. The ad that schmooser posted, I noticed it was in British pounds. Is the seller in the "UK"? I'm not sure how I would feel about buying anything from overseas. Anyway, the Utica, and M6 "SBL", are good in my opinion. SKIP

I believe the money is in the M6 scabbard. Of all six makers of the M6, SBL made the least with only about 7,000 units being produced as compared to Milsco which made the most at about 140,500 units. Blade marked Uticas came originally with an M8 scabbard so the SBL would have been a later field pairing. Another thing is that blade marked Uticas almost seem to be a dime-a-dozen on ebay that, unless in mint or near mint condition, do ever seem to go for much. SBL M6s are believed to be replacement scabbards and would, in theory, go with any blade marked and dated M3 that for some reason or other lost it's original out of the factory M6 scabbard.

CG

CG- Checked my info on "SBL" M6s, the number I have on file (forget the source now, been years),states SBL made 35,000 costing the government .59 cents each. Also, , based on Bill Walters book, states the majority went to Norway with lend lease programs. As far as blade marked Uticas, they were newly issued with M8 scabbards. But, over the years I have acquired many mint guard marked M3s in mint M6s. Not doubt they were just using up M6 supplies. I'm sure lots of M3s ended up paired with M6s. I have also seen Utica blade-dated M3s in M8 scabbards. Utica made the most M3s after Imperial, which produced about half of all M3 production. Good input! SKIP

According to one reference I have about the production of M3's and M4's along with the production of M6's and M8 sheaths there is an overlap in the simultaneous manufacture of both M6 and M8 sheaths from July 43 to Nov 43. If this information is correct that overlap covers the last three months of manufacture of blade dated M3's, all three months of manufacture of the blade marked M3's and the first month of guard marked M3's.

Without detailed information with regards to individual manufactures and delivery times It would seem possible that any of the three classes of M3's could have come boxed with either sheath.

It's really nice that Bill Walter took the time to document the best he could which matches seem to be the most common.

I have a chart. Forgot where I got it 9-10 yrs ago, probably here on the forum. Production by month M3s, M6s, & M8s. Might shed some light on overlap. SKIP

Scan_20191228 (2).jpg