ID old sword...family attic find

phantomfixer

This was in my great aunt's attic back in the late 60's...she had 5 boy's, so she called her sister to come get it, afraid her 5 boy's would hurt themselves...it was in her attic along with boxes of 1863 Harpers Ferry news papers...My grandmother has had the sword on her mantle since then...pretty much untouched...that is pretty much all I know about this ...and was looking for some help to ID it...

I have the sword for a few days, then is going back up on the mantle...

Handle appears to be antler...

thanks for any info...

post-155518-0-52003300-1577369345_thumb.jpg

post-155518-0-72554900-1577369355_thumb.jpg

post-155518-0-41960400-1577369366.jpg

post-155518-0-42898800-1577369380_thumb.jpg

post-155518-0-43040000-1577369380_thumb.jpg

I'm no authority by a long shot, but that is like no regulation U.S. sword I am familiar with. That said, there were plenty of non-regulation swords being used during the Civil War and before. Militia? Foreign import? Personally made? Something about the handle makes me think this is older than the Civil War period. Try your research farther back in time. It seems quite destinctive. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will recognize it. Good luck!

Mikie

Similar swords turn up identified in George Neumann's Swords and Blades of the American Revolution

https://www.amazon.com/Swords-Blades-American-Revolution-Neumann/dp/1880655004

Noted as colonial made of the later part of the 18th century. Cherry wood is a good indicator. Similar swords are also found linked the Mexico and Central America but my hunch would lean towards east coast US or the colonial/war years. The tapered barrel tool like grips and ferrules somewhat ubiquitous to the style.

I'll meander over to the shelves in a bit and snap a picture of the best match in Neumann's. I'll look in Flayderman's Medicus book as well.

Cheers

GC

Gentlemen...

thanks for the leads...Went to a local blade guru today, and he had a plethora of books on early US swords, while none matched this sword...there was no positive 100% there it is match...swords made from 1780-1810 were similar in style and construction...

without a blade stamping or provenance, this is the best that I can hope for now..

Talking more with the family, the house it was originally found in was built in the late 1700's or early 1800s...county records could possibly have more info on the age and owners..would be nice to find the original house owner, and see if there is a military connection...

• 4 weeks later...

Great looking sword;if the handle is horn,it could possibly be Colonial Spanish or Philippine Insurrection.I have seen quite a lot of these misidentified as Civil War Confederate.

That is a beautiful sword. I think it definetly pre-dates the American Civil War. Late 1700s possibly.

Would look beautiful hanging on a wall!!

Chris