WW2 ERA NAVY FLAGS, MARKINGS, CHARACTERISTICS

dhcoleterracina

dhcoleterracina

I am a NOVICE flag collector who loves Navy flags. It is disheartening to see auction sites sell flags claiming historical events or eras that I think don't agree with what I've learned about Navy flags in a short time. There have been several threads in our "real or not" section where a flag is simply stenciled with a historical event, Pearl Harbor for example, and these auctions close in excess of $5000 each time. One particular seller gives no provenance and claims the flag was purchased from another collector who has passed on. Some closet collector who has purchased one of these flags will have quite a shock in the future, or his heirs will. I've seen this play out in the TR area numerous times but now it is creeping into various areas of US militaria that we believed safe.

So...I'll be posting flags that I believe to be "good". I'm not thin skinned so please correct me if you are more knowledgeable, we're always learning something new.

Navy flags, since before WW1, are numbered according to size from 1 (the largest) to 12 (the smallest). Although a #12 was flown on tenders or other very small craft, they are very popular with collectors because they can be most easily framed and displayed because of their small size.

Below is a shot of several flags lying on each other to show size differences from #7 to #12.

post-573-0-02662700-1577213809_thumb.jpg

dhcoleterracina

A few comments...

The lowest flag, a #7 is smaller than the flag above. A #7 should have a hoist measurement of over five feet, this one is a few inches less. The reason, I believe, is that these are wool and shrink after exposure to water. Use published flag size charts as a guide only, actual sizes vary depending on use.

I've never encountered a flag marked #8, please post a #8 if you have one.

I have two flags that are marked "Battalion Ensign". The hoist on both are about five feet with six grommets. A #8 has a five foot hoist. Is a Battalion Ensign a #8? I'm not sure, maybe.

Flags marked "Mare Island" are popular because they are dated, some older even give a month of manufacture. Mare Island is a base in California, south of San Francisco. They made thousands of flags since before WW1 (I believe). They weren't the only place making flags for the US Navy. Flags have also been made in the New York Shipyard and either Boston or Philadelphia (perhaps both). Flags for the Navy were even made in Cavite, PI. I wish I had one to show.

At some point in our history, our government contracted out flag production to private manufacturers. Annin for example, made four grommet numbered flags and Valley Forge also made flags for the Navy. Numerous smaller companies were contracted to make internment flags. I don't have a date when these private flag companies started to make flags. During WW2? I really don't know. One of those flag companies claims to have made both Iwo Jima Suribachi flags on their website. Sorry, but both of those flags were made at the Mare Island Shipyard. The oldest Mare Island flag that I own is dated 1952.

In the early years after the attack on Pearl Harbor, they stopped using brass for grommets to preserve that material for shells. Zinc was used in its place. I think they continued zinc until supplies ran out. One MI flag dated 1950 has brass grommets while the 1952 still had zinc. Zinc is magnetic.

dhcoleterracina

In 1944 and 1945 (maybe as early as 1943) the Mare Island facility, and only this facility, had to produce SO many flags that it began to paint the stars on the flags. I haven't seen painted stars on a post WW2 flag so this process was short lived. Another cool variation. The first flag flown on Mt. Suribachi had painted stars.

post-573-0-99619200-1577216253_thumb.jpg

dhcoleterracina

Another variation seen on #7 size flags and larger is what I call "rope edge". There will be a brass (or zinc) ring at the top corner attached to a rope which runs down the hoist of the flag and drops down 18 inches or more below the lower edge to a buckle. Occasionally these were made in smaller sizes too but not too commonly.

The second Mt. Suribachi flag was a rope edge #7, AKA the Rosenthal Flag.