WWII M1 Helmet, Front Seam

kristoffer

Hi,

I have a few photos that I want to share. Helmets are not something that I have a lot of knowledge in.

Can you guys tell me what I have here. I know it's a front seam M1 helmet. I would say it's WWII. Is anything replaced on it?

Would really appreciate all feedback

Happy holidays to all of you.

Regards Kristoffer

post-2812-0-82417200-1577039874.jpg

post-2812-0-52219800-1577039897.jpg

post-2812-0-11680700-1577039914.jpg

post-2812-0-54916500-1577039935.jpg

Don‘t know about the liner, but the helmet looks ok. There should be a stamp on the inside front of the helmet. That will help you date the helmet.

The liner appears to be a WW2 produced Capac. The shell almost certainly is a McCord, which had its manufacturing facility in Detroit. It's a later war swivel loop model. Standard WW2 set I'd say, of interest is the adjustable neck nape strap in the liner which would have been installed around 1945.

Please don't use sand paper if the lot number in the helmet is hard to read. A view of the shell's outer side would be nice.

The only thing I can see thats missing is the liner chin strap and the sweatband..... Otherwise nice!!!

And a close up of the front seam would be great but I think I see McCord Crimp marks on it?

Ditto CAPAC

Ditto no sand paper on the heat stamp. Hold it at different angles to read it. Unless the paints too thick you should be able to read it.

Close up on the bails where the straps attach?

Nice !!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I got some new photos from the seller today. He was on vaccation over the holidays. A few new photos but not exactly the ones I hoped for.

Would you guys say that 240$ is a reasonable price given its condition? Chin strap and sweat band missing and has a tear to the webbing.

Would it be easy to replace the sweatband?

Regards Kristoffer

post-2812-0-94382800-1578300012.jpg

post-2812-0-32050200-1578300022.jpg

post-2812-0-01472500-1578300032.jpg

Hello,

I got some new photos from the seller today. He was on vaccation over the holidays. A few new photos but not exactly the ones I hoped for.

Would you guys say that 240$ is a reasonable price given its condition? Chin strap and sweat band missing and has a tear to the webbing.

Would it be easy to replace the sweatband?

Regards Kristoffer

Im not good with prices, but I'd say that's fair. I paid 250 for mine.

Seems like a nice set but $240 seems very high for a swivel bail helmet especially considering the liner is missing it's sweatband/chinstrap. If you're looking to spend that kind of money I would hold off and wait for a nice fixed bail.

Seems like a nice set but $240 seems very high for a swivel bail helmet especially considering the liner is missing it's sweatband/chinstrap. If you're looking to spend that kind of money I would hold off and wait for a nice fixed bail.

I think its too much. If it had some unit crests on the liner, if the webbing wasnt torn. If it had a chin strap and sweatband in the liner, and maybe rank or something

stenciled on the steel, then $240.00 would be a good price, but its up to you really. I buy these swivel bails in this condition cheaper.

Im pretty sure you can find some for sale like this one cheaper in the for sale section on the forum? They come up.

I think its too much. If it had some unit crests on the liner, if the webbing wasnt torn. If it had a chin strap and sweatband in the liner, and maybe rank or something

stenciled on the steel, then $240.00 would be a good price, but its up to you really. I buy these swivel bails in this condition cheaper.

Im pretty sure you can find some for sale like this one cheaper in the for sale section on the forum? They come up.

If it was marked I could see the asking price depending on the markings. I've got two swivel bails in my collection I've paid more for but in both cases there was something that made them unique. This one is probably worth at most half of the asking price unless there's something I'm missing.

I would peruse the for sale helmets sections and see if you can find a seller willing to ship internationally. There are some nice helmets for sale around this price range.

Thanks to all of you. I will take you advice and look at the helmets section.

In the meantime I will continue to read up on M1 helmets ?

//Kristoffer